How long before sites are indexed? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting to get really fedup with the complete lack of indexing on sites i submitted (with sitemaps). Google indexed them within days and pops back daily so why hasn't Live even taken a single look? How long on average does this process take? With some sites i've been waiting months. On a side note Yahoo is also pretty rubbish at indexing sites but Live is the worst in my experience so far.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 10:05 AM

Answers

• @ tyneshop

I see that we have 4 or 5 pages indexed today. Right now, you are ranking extremely low. One way to increase your crawl rate and indexing is by increasing your Static Rank. I see you have many backlinks from boards and resource pages. Although these aren't hurting your ranking, they aren't helping much either. Here are some suggestions for creating quality backlinks:

1.       Start a blog – and write content that will give people a reason to link to your website

2.       Join a reputable industry association – often times they will list their members and provide links to their websites. Examples could be a local rotary club, or a professional association like the American Medical Association.

3.       Get involved with your community – participating with your community through blogs, forums and other online resources may give you legitimate reasons to provide links to your site.

4.       Talk to a reporter – is there a potential story around your business? Or do you have helpful tips about your business people might be interested in? Pitch a story to a reporter or journalist, and they might give you a link.

5.       Press Releases – if your company has a significant event, consider doing a press release through a site like http://prweb.com.

6.       Suppliers and partners – ask your business partners if they would add a section to their website describing your partnership, with a link to your website. Or, if your suppliers have a website, perhaps they have a page where they recommend local distributers of their products.

7.       Evangelize your site in the real world – with business cards, magnets, USB keys and other fun collectables

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The time frame for adding new sites to the index veries quite a bit. If you wouldn't mind providing me with some domain names, I will take a look on my end.

Thanks,

Brett 

Monday, November 17, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Hi Brett,

I have similar issues. I love Microsoft products however it has been a bit of a disapointment with regards to msn/live search indexing. I have been pinging the msnbot for over 3 months for it to crawl while google crawled within few days and after a week indexed all the pages.

Would you mind having a look at www.tyneshop.com for me please

Thanks

Umer

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:23 AM
  • @ tyneshop

I see that we have 4 or 5 pages indexed today. Right now, you are ranking extremely low. One way to increase your crawl rate and indexing is by increasing your Static Rank. I see you have many backlinks from boards and resource pages. Although these aren't hurting your ranking, they aren't helping much either. Here are some suggestions for creating quality backlinks:

1.       Start a blog – and write content that will give people a reason to link to your website

2.       Join a reputable industry association – often times they will list their members and provide links to their websites. Examples could be a local rotary club, or a professional association like the American Medical Association.

3.       Get involved with your community – participating with your community through blogs, forums and other online resources may give you legitimate reasons to provide links to your site.

4.       Talk to a reporter – is there a potential story around your business? Or do you have helpful tips about your business people might be interested in? Pitch a story to a reporter or journalist, and they might give you a link.

5.       Press Releases – if your company has a significant event, consider doing a press release through a site like http://prweb.com.

6.       Suppliers and partners – ask your business partners if they would add a section to their website describing your partnership, with a link to your website. Or, if your suppliers have a website, perhaps they have a page where they recommend local distributers of their products.

7.       Evangelize your site in the real world – with business cards, magnets, USB keys and other fun collectables

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:03 PM