Unable to even login thanks to WGA warning... HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Here is my WGA problem, and I am going to try to give you ALL the details up front so as to avoid the circular question-answer game that seems to go on here.

I have Fujitsu Lifebook T4010, purchased in Canada at an authorized re-seller for my business (there are 5 other computers in the office - more on that later).  The OS is Windows XP Tablet.  It connects wirelessly via the built in 80211g adapter to our domain server (running Windows 2K3 standard).  Its set for autoupdates, and is fully equipped with AV software (NOD32 enterprise) & MS Defender.  It has a few other apps on it (all very specific to my particular industry), none of which have changed at all since the initial install in ~ April 2005.

~ 2 weeks, it simply stopped working .  This is what happens.  It displays the "This copy Windows is not genuine.  You may have been the victim of software piracy" banner in the bottom right corner of the login screen.  After typing the username password combo, I get the second diaglog box, saying much of the same thing and then giving me 2 choices - Resolve Now or Get Genuine.  No matter which one I pick, it seems to then go into an endless loop of "loading personal settings" as if its going to logon, but never does.  I have left it for > 1 hour, just to see if it ever did anything useful, and it does not.  So I cannot even login to the OS to run any of the "diagnostic tools" mentioned here.

And now I will try to head off the questions so I can get an answer:

1. I have tried logging in as several different users, both on the domain and locally, and in safe mode - same result (which is not surprising, as the message appears before anyone even attempts to login.
    2. I have tried a multitude of different cables / batteries / lighting conditions etc etc without success.
    3. I have 5 other machines, all of which were purchased at the same time, and in fact one of which is the exact same machine, purchased from the same reseller, running the exact same OS and applications - they all run just fine.
    4. The machine did not come with a standalone copy of XP Tablet, but instead a series of recovery discs (which I am sure you are familiar with) - And no, I have not tried them (as I really dont see why I should have to - this is clearly a WGA problem)
    5. There were no changes made to group policies, or even any changes made to the entire server/domain environment (I am very much a "if-it-aint-broke-dont-fix-it" kinda guy).
    I trust there is someone here who can help.  This is very frustrating, knowing I have a legitimate copy of Windows, and not being able to even log in to my machine.  We are having to share workstations in order to get things done, and people are having to stay late as a result in order to get the normal days work completed.

Regards,

(A very frustrated) AEJ

Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:13 AM

Answers

• I suggest filing a support request (Windows XP Section) at www.support.microsoft.com. This is out of the range of WGA problems (I believe) and definitely out of the capabilities WGA Forums can support unfortunately.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:45 PM
  • Hi AEJ,

I'm sorry that you are having issues.  I have reviewed your posts and have a suggestion for you to try.  To do this, you will need to start the computer that is experiencing the problem via the Windows XP Recovery Console.  To start your computer using the recovery console, follow these steps:

1) Insert the original release version of Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition CD in your computer's CD or DVD drive.

2) Restart your computer.

3) When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message appears, press any key.  This will start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

4) When the 'Welcome to Setup' screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5) When you are prompted, type the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows that you want to access from the Recovery Console and press ENTER.  For example, if you have one installation of Windows on the computer, type 1 and then press ENTER.

6) When you are prompted, type the Administrator password and press ENTER.

7) At the command prompt in the Recovery Console, you will need to CD (change directory) to the windows\system32 directory.

8) You will want to rename wgalogon.dll to something else (wgalogon.old).  You can do this by typing ren wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old.

Once you have completed these steps, exit the recovery console, remove the Windows XP CD from the CD/DVD drive and reboot normally.

Can you tell me did this resolve your issue?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:13 PM

All replies

• AEJ:

Are you using remote profiles on your domain? What other types of machines are on there (outside of the specified Win2K3 ones)?

It seems that the machine itself is hanging because it is attempting to resolve the domain to retrieve the remote user profiles. Very similar to this user's post (http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=584389&SiteID=25) where the user cannot login properly.

However, because the machine can properly get into the "profile loading" stage, I don't believe this is a WGA issue currently (though it may very well be, but signs are pointing to no).

Is this the only machine with this problem? I recommend filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com under the Windows 2003 Server section, as it seems like a remote profile issue (perhaps your remote registry hive is corrupt?)

I'm sorry for the troubles you're seeing, but at this point, I do believe its outside of the realm of WGA issues.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:49 AM
  • Phil,

While I do appreciate your quick response, however I dont believe you read my post very closely.

Are you using remote profiles on your domain?
    YES.  However this is NOT relevant.  Why?  Because....
    1. I am able to login from every other machine remotely - i.e. the remote profiles / W2K3 / registry are just fine.
    2. I also stated that I am unable to login LOCALLY either (or in SAFE mode if you missed that part as well)
    3. I DO in fact get the loading profile and even loading personal settings dialog, but it never actually logs into the machine - no matter how long I leave it.  It just hangs right there - Loading personal settings
    4. To be honest, I'm not sure how you logically jumped from my obvious WGA issue, to a problem with my remote profiles?  So its just a co-incidence that I cant login to my machine only after you roll out this WGA ***?
    5. And finally... even if it WAS a remote profile issue - how do you explain the fact that my machine gives me this bogus "your copy of windows is not genuine" message BEFORE the login process even begins?
    What other types of machines are on there (outside of the specified Win2K3 ones)?
    Not sure how this is relevant, but all the other machines on the network are either XP Pro or XP Tablet - ALL FUNCTIONING NORMALLY.

Very similar to this user's post (http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=584389&SiteID=25) where the user cannot login properly. 
    My problemis similar only in that you guys dont seem to understand exactly what the problem is - WGA and not something else, as you keep wanting to tell us.

Is this the only machine with this problem?
    YES.

I'm sorry for the troubles you're seeing, but at this point, I do believe its outside of the realm of WGA issues.
    I will certainly have to disagree with you strongly on that one.  This most certainly IS a WGA issue.

Any more thoughts now that I have clarified the issue?

AEJ
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:16 PM
  • I suggest filing a support request (Windows XP Section) at www.support.microsoft.com. This is out of the range of WGA problems (I believe) and definitely out of the capabilities WGA Forums can support unfortunately.

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 4:45 PM
  • Phil,

I find it beyond irritating that you simply took no time to actually read my response or address the problem.

THIS IS CLEARLY A WGA ISSUE

Plain and simple.  The fact that you cant acknowledge that tells me that you do not have a solution to MS's attempt -at-spyware problem.

Thanks so much for your non-help.  Its comforting to know that after spending tens of thousands of dollars on your software products, that I can get such top-notch support.

AEJ-
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:04 PM
  • Hi AEJ,

I'm sorry that you are having issues.  I have reviewed your posts and have a suggestion for you to try.  To do this, you will need to start the computer that is experiencing the problem via the Windows XP Recovery Console.  To start your computer using the recovery console, follow these steps:

1) Insert the original release version of Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition CD in your computer's CD or DVD drive.

2) Restart your computer.

3) When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message appears, press any key.  This will start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

4) When the 'Welcome to Setup' screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5) When you are prompted, type the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows that you want to access from the Recovery Console and press ENTER.  For example, if you have one installation of Windows on the computer, type 1 and then press ENTER.

6) When you are prompted, type the Administrator password and press ENTER.

7) At the command prompt in the Recovery Console, you will need to CD (change directory) to the windows\system32 directory.

8) You will want to rename wgalogon.dll to something else (wgalogon.old).  You can do this by typing ren wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old.

Once you have completed these steps, exit the recovery console, remove the Windows XP CD from the CD/DVD drive and reboot normally.

Can you tell me did this resolve your issue?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:13 PM
  • Michelle,

Thank you so much for your reply, and most importantly, reading my post.

Your recovery console idea worked like a charm.  I am happy and logged in with no problems now.   Now what you suggested is really just a workaround rather than a solution, correct ?   And so my question is, how did this happen, and how do I know I am not going to run into this problem again, the next time WGA is updated?

I am happy to run the recovery console, and do periodic maintainence/fixes however my staff would have no idea what I was talking about, and I cant be here 24/7 to fix problem such as these.

Any ideas on prevention?

And now that I am in... I have run the "diagnostic tool" and here is the output.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HGQWQ-TFP69-GGB6G
    Windows Product Key Hash: S7QCAZ/zmowaVMj75QWAV79bPrI=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00306
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.tab
    Download Center code: 5M57Y87
    ID: 355b2588-cce7-40b2-bfe6-98a3aa3e2bda
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    Cache refresh Interval: 611514 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): 14
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): 31
    All disabled: 0
    Reminder reduced: 0
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    Signatue Type: N/A

Thanks again for your help Michelle.

Cheers,
    AEJ
    Friday, July 28, 2006 3:31 PM
  • AEJ:

Can you provide the entire details of the Diagnostics output? It does contain a brief section regarding your computer's current security settings which our developers wish to take a look at (to find root cause)

-Phil

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:25 PM
  • Actually, AEJ, could you file a direct support request to our WGA Line and have them escalate to our team? (if you wish, you can give us the SR# so I can track it down myself)

The link is located here: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

I apologize for being so brash in the previous posts (I did read them, however it may seem) but this issue is *definitely* out of the scope of a forum posting. The direct support email will allow us to work more directly and in a more precise manner specific to this (what it seems) corner case. Michelle's solution is only a temporary workaround and definitely won't keep it up to speed with the next release.

In the interim (because you'll probably get asked this a few more times), could you post the entire diagnostics tool so our team can start taking a look at the settings?

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Program Manager, Windows Genuine Advantage

Friday, July 28, 2006 4:43 PM
  • Hi AEJ,

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!  I was so happy to hear that this worked for you.  Thanks for taking the time to try it for me.

I see that Phil also responded to your success post.  I want to make sure that you feel comfortable with the information we provided you and I want to make sure your questions have adquately been addressed.

1) Yes, the steps I asked you to try were only a workaround.

2) The problem may return the next time WGA Notifications (KB 905474) is released if the issue is not addressed.  Meaning, you could 'potentially' have to run through the recovery console again.

3) Ideas on prevention?  Yes, I have a couple but I am not sure exactly how we will implement it.  Since I'm the PM responsible for WGA Validation and WGA Notifications, I'll be able to ensure that we do get this corner case issue addressed.

In order to prevent this from happening in the future, if I could get you to do this that would help me greatly in figuring out how to get this fixed within the app.

1)  Open a support request:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860& (Note: You will not be charged for support).

2)  Run the Microsoft Diagnost Tool on the Tablet PC that was having the issue.  Include the full diagnostic output in the support request. 

3)  Within the support request, direct them to send this directly to the product group PM:  Michelle Holtmann

Once I get this information, I'll work with our dev team so we can get this issue addressed permanently.  I agree with your comments above and I think that many others would be in a similar situation as your staff and would not be able to adequately handle the recovery console to get around this.

Right now, you guys should be good to go.  I look forward to getting the full diagnostic details so we can begin work.  Feel free to post the SR# here for me the forum too if you wish.  Only you and a Microsoft PSS engineer can access it (I can't, but they'll make sure they get the details to me).

Thanks again for the help, you've been great.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, July 28, 2006 7:13 PM
  • Guys,

Thanks for the help.  I am sorry I have not replied since, but I was heading out on business, and have just arrived back.
    I wil run the diags again and do as requested.
    I must say, this whole "support" experience has restored my faith in the microsoft behemoth.

AEJ-
    Sunday, August 6, 2006 4:34 AM
  • Hi AEJ,

Welcome back!  I was getting worried there when I hadn't heard back from you. 

Let me know what the SR # is when you are able to submit one and I'll follow up with support to get the details.

Thank you for the kind words!!!! I'm glad that despite the initial rocky start that we were able to get things back on track and restore your faith in us.  That means a lot to us (I'm not kidding) it really does and it makes it all worth while.

Thanks!!!
    Michelle

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 12:00 AM