none
Hidden Files in Back Ups RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some files which I am told are hidden. Going to some of the back ups that may contain them I can't see them which either means they weren't there or are but are hidden. Can anyone tell me if hidden files, system or otherwise, remain hidden when backed up and if so can they be unhidden whilst still in the back up? I am looking only for a few files from large back ups.

Many thanks Sean
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:13 AM

Answers

• You can't actually make changes to the contents of a backup (i.e. remove the hidden flag). All you can do is turn on the options in Windows that lets you see hidden or system files. That's what I mean by "the usual way".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Sean Hawthorne Friday, January 29, 2010 12:47 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hidden files will remain hidden in a backup, and they can be viewed in the usual way.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Ken, thanks for your answer. At least I know now to keep looking for the files.

Can I unhide all files in a back up as I don't want to do a Restore of all the directories (I installed Win7 and am looking for files from the final Win XP back up).

Thanks again, Sean
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:30 PM
  • You can't actually make changes to the contents of a backup (i.e. remove the hidden flag). All you can do is turn on the options in Windows that lets you see hidden or system files. That's what I mean by "the usual way".
    • Marked as answer by Sean Hawthorne Friday, January 29, 2010 12:47 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:38 PM