none
MoneyCentral - Can't get to Portfolio any more

Question

• I'm having trouble getting to my portfolio since last weekend.  It appeared that the link/URL had changed and I did get it to work.  However, today the new URL isn't working.

When I try to get to http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio, which is the new URL that was working yesterday it redirects me to login.live.com, I don't get to see the login screen and then it redirects immediately to money.msn.com.  Even if I login at this point it still won't let me get to Portfolio Manager.  It appears that live.com is having issues and won't allow me to get to my portfolio.  Can someone assist?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:42 PM

All replies

• NOTE - I just tried and it works in Firefox on another computer, but not IE 8 on mine.  ARe you kidding me?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:10 PM
  • I installed Firefox on my computer and at first it didn't work, then it worked and I could get to my portfolio.  I tried a dozen or more times in IE with no success... including logging out and back in... and different options/methods of getting to Portfolio Manager from the menus.  I almost seems like live.com and IE aren't playing well together.
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:25 PM
  • You might consider resetting your IE internet zone back to default security, at least for testing. Then if you could figure out what site is holding you back, you could add that to the TrustedSites zone. Then you could tighten up your Internet zone again.

You may want to be cautious to stay away from dodgy sites while your security is loose. You could create a Windows restore point before changing the IE security, in case you want to restore back to that after your experiments.

Another thing to try is to create a new Windows user, and trying to access your portfolio as that user. A new user starts with the default IE  settings.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:09 PM
  • If you are using Sunset, go to HOME. From the left panel, click on Portfolio Manager. That will get you in. I found the same problem you have last Thursday when I tried to enter thru Investments and the old online link was gone. Good luck. Steve
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:26 PM
  • If you are using Sunset, go to HOME. From the left panel, click on Portfolio Manager. That will get you in. I found the same problem you have last Thursday when I tried to enter thru Investments and the old online link was gone. Good luck. Steve
    DblA_T is not using Microsoft Money but rather MSN Money at moneycentral.msn.com. It is an online web program. It is quite different from Microsoft Money.

For using Microsoft Money Plus, I clicked Shortcut at the top, and added in the Portfolio shortcut. That gives you single-click access to the Microsoft Money Portfolio.
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the input.  I didn't get an email sent to me that a reply was posted.  Sorry for the delay.  It has been working for a couple weeks now and I'm having the same issue.  Here's some additional info...

From another computer on Firefox I get a warning when I leave live.com after I try to log-in.  The warning to me is very odd.  I'm on live.com, which is https... and when I submit my login info I get a warning from Firefox that says...

"Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.  Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?"

I don't know if Firefox is mistaken and maybe the login was already successful... but it sounds like it's going to send my Live login/password unencrypted across the wire.  That doesn't sound right at all.  If I continue I get to my portfolio on this other computer.  My main computer doesn't get to the portfolio, only the public Money site.  live.com redirects again like before after I try to login.

@Cal Learner - So, would this be like your saying... internet zone/security settings?  This is a problem on both IE and Firefox, which seems too coincidental.  And why is it intermittent?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Something that seems to have made a difference...  I tried resetting the default security level, but that seemed to be at 'medium' to begin with and it didn't make a difference. So, for sh*ts and giggles I tried to add the live.com site as a trusted site.  Though that specifically didn't seem to make a difference, the next time I tried to login using my Hotmail account it said something like "we recommend using HTTPS for Hotmail... do you want to do such now and in the future?"  I said yes as that made sense.  Then, live.com worked when trying to get to my portfolio. 

So, these steps...

1. Shortcut on my Desktop to http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio
    2. Redirect to live.com for login/pwd.

3. Redirect to my portfolio.

worked after making this change. However, it was working intermittently without this change too.  Not sure if live.com was confused with the HTTP vs. HTTPS setting or what.  It's working again.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:18 PM
  • On the Advanced tab in IE9 is a Reset button near the bottom. I recently used that because I could not figure out why I was not getting logged in to for this forum. I don't know what setting I had tightened. This does not match your situation, because the problem that it solved was not intermittent-- at least in the short term. I was feeling lazy, so I did not try to track down what setting it was that made the difference. If there were an easy way to export IE security settings to a text file, I could easily see what the differences were before and after such a change. Then I could try to isolate the critical change. I just took the easy way out.

So why do things sometimes not work and then work later? My theory is cloudy. ;-) Some problems seem to occur on the weekend and get fixed on Mondays. I speculate somebody came back from the weekend and reset a server. Anyway, I am glad things are working. If you really wanted to check out what made the difference, you could to a System Restore using a Restore Point that was from before you made the change that you think may have fixed things. Then see if the problem still exists, or whether the fix was just coincidental to what you did.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:27 PM