When a user leaves the organization - Disable the user? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm concerned about records including Accounts, Contacts, and Activities that are owned by a user who no longer works at my company.

1. Is it possible to disable a user that owns records?

2. If it is possible, what happens to those records?

I have MSCRM 4.0 UR 11 -- On Premise

If you need any additional information to help me with this issue, please let me know.

Eric Hula - CRM Administrator
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:18 PM

Answers

• 1. Yes it is.

2. Depends.

All records that are closed (Completed Activities and disabled Accounts, for example) that were owned by the user will stay owned by that user.

All records that are still active will stay owned by the deactivated User unless you use the Reassign All Records option on the Users list.  With that, all active records will be moved to a new user of your chosing.

Note: You can do the above to active Users too.  That's useful if a user's role changes in a company.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    • Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Hula Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Eric, the behavior around closed Activities is exactly what you want.  CRM will never reassign closed/disabled records.

The only negative consequence of disabled users owning records is if you have workflows that rely on record ownership, they will fail.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• 1. Yes it is.

2. Depends.

All records that are closed (Completed Activities and disabled Accounts, for example) that were owned by the user will stay owned by that user.

All records that are still active will stay owned by the deactivated User unless you use the Reassign All Records option on the Users list.  With that, all active records will be moved to a new user of your chosing.

Note: You can do the above to active Users too.  That's useful if a user's role changes in a company.

• Proposed as answer by Wayne Walton Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Hula Wednesday, September 7, 2011 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Hi Eric,

after deactivating a user in CRM, DO NOT delete his account from AD. If you try to assign records owned by a deactivated user, whose AD account has been deleted, CRM will present you an error.

Rob 

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:34 PM
  • Is there any negative consequence for disabled users owning active Account, Contact, or Lead records?

Also, in this case, I don't want the closed activities to be reassigned to a different user. I want the historical data that the user who left did own those activities. So I won't be using Reassign All Records. I can't imagine a situation where I would be willing to reassign closed activity records to another user unless it was a new user record for the same employee.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that. Fortunately, we don't delete old users in AD, we only disable them. We're a small company, so we don't have to worry about hundreds of old AD users.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Eric, the behavior around closed Activities is exactly what you want.  CRM will never reassign closed/disabled records.

The only negative consequence of disabled users owning records is if you have workflows that rely on record ownership, they will fail.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:09 PM