none
In-Editor Search Results Limited to Current Forum Scope

General discussion

• On the newthread page, when the automatic search is performed against the title of the new thread, those search results need to be limited to the scope of the forum being posted to.

For instance, when creating a new question in the VB forum, it does no good whatsoever if all of the results, or the top four out of five results are all in the C# forum.  Even if a relevant answer exists and can easily be translated to VB, most users are going to hit their back button the second they realize they are in the C# forum instead of VB.

It would be great if the search would take into account the selected forum and limit the results.  Perhaps include a "more" link which then searches beyond the local scope of the user wants more similar questions to look at.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:40 PM

All replies

• Agreed and voted ;-)

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

My Forum Threads

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:11 AM
  • Also strongly agreed.  In virtually every single instance, I have found the results of this automated search to be not only useless but also detrimental if I actually try to read the results for a match.  So I have taken to acting as though that box simply did not exist.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:34 PM
  • Agreed and voted ;-)

Ditto :)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:11 PM