E-Mail Scanner In OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I take it that OneCare does not have a seperate e-mail scanner to scan incoming e-mail like most AV software have?  Isn't it a good thing to have a seperate e-mail scanner just to have the extra protection?  Every AV software that I've used has had a seperate e-mail scanner, so I guess I'm a little concerned.

Monday, June 2, 2008 7:48 AM

Answers

• You are correct. There is no scanning of email inbound or outbound. That is actually "smoke and mirrors" when done by other products. OneCare will scan any attachment that you try to open. The mail store will be scanned by OneCare during a Tune-up. You actually don't want mail scanned at send/receive as this generally is the source of all kinds of problems people encounter with email. The scanner inserts a process to act as a proxy and intercepts the mail.

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:59 AM

All replies

• You are correct. There is no scanning of email inbound or outbound. That is actually "smoke and mirrors" when done by other products. OneCare will scan any attachment that you try to open. The mail store will be scanned by OneCare during a Tune-up. You actually don't want mail scanned at send/receive as this generally is the source of all kinds of problems people encounter with email. The scanner inserts a process to act as a proxy and intercepts the mail.

-steve

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Thank you steve. 

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something a while back about AV e-mail scanners causing problems in Outlook Express.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Email scanners can cause problems with any email program since they insert themselves as a proxy server in between your email program and the Internet. You're welcome. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:34 AM
  • Stephen,

Based upon your answer here, I am curious as to if you might be able to help me with my problem? From everything

Many times, after reading a message in my INBOX, I create a new folder and move the message from my INBOX to that folder. When I navigate to that folder, I can view the message header and open it to see its content with no problem. Then when, at some future time, I go back to view that message again, though I can see the message header, when I try to open the message, I get an error which says: "Message Cannot Be Found"...the contents of this messaeg cannot be found.

So what happened to the message body? Apparently, many people are experiencing this problem, but in all of the replies, the suggestion is made that the problem is due to e-mails being scanned by an over-active AV program. Since, as you have indicated here, Live OneCare DOES NOT scan e-mails, then what is causing this to occur...and more importantly, what do I need to do to stop it?

I have tried Microsoft Live OneCare support, with absolutely no succes as to the cause or any suggestion to a resolution.

Your assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated! Many of the messages that  have "disappeared" are ones that I needed. This situation is totally unacceptable as I am using my e-mail in a business setting.

I own Microsoft Office 2007 and could use Outlook, but I have found it to be much too sophisticated for my e-mail needs and would prefer to use Windows Mail if I can get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:53 PM
  • OneCare could be scanning the email message - when I say that it does not scan the mail, I mean that it does not interecept inbound or outbound mail to scan it. it does scan for malicious attachments and scripts.
    However, my feeling is that the problem is a corrupt mail index on your PC. Windows Mail saves messages as individual files on the hard drive in a hidden folder. It keeps them organized in the "folders" shown in Windows Mail by maintaining an index. I find it odd that the index "sees" the message in that it can display the headers, but opening fails.
    I recommend that you visit the Windows Mail newsgroup here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail&cat=en_US_9CA88DDB-D18D-FA0E-A366-6E527B0FBA67&lang=en&cr=US

You may also want to consider installing Windows Live Mail - from http://download.live.com - part of Windows Live Essentials and all free. It will not remove Windows Mail, but it is an upgrade to it. Let it import your Windows Mail data and perhaps the problem will be resolved.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 11:41 AM