WHS server restore very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I had a S.M.A.R.T error report on my main drive (C: and D:), and have a server backup twice a day.  So I decided to build a recovery disk, and put in a new drive.

The C: partition took 8+ hours.  The D: is still at about 5%, looking like it might take weeks.

Anybody know how to make this faster?

HW details:

2TB main drive, about 150GB used

2TB backup drive

Both disks SATA III

16GB RAM

quad core 3.3GHz i5 processor

Intel 67 chipset

If this is the actual recovery time, why is the feature even there?  In the real world, weeks for a system recovery is ridiculous.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the recovery performance is mainly depending from the network performance, if it is not Gigabit network infrastructure (client and server network interface, cables, switch), it will take a long time to transfer this amount of data.

Also the server has to rebuild the data from its database, so the performance of the server hardware may have also some impact on the speed.

You could also only restore the C: drive, boot the system from that drive and then from the started operating system run ClientRestoreWizard.exe in the Windows Home Server folder of the client (in C:\Program Files) to restore the data volume.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 2, 2012 11:18 AM