MS Money and .net passport RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I am trying to put money on a new computer. I have the backup on a usb stick. When I go to restore having installed money it wants my .net password which I created years ago and cannot remember. Is there any chance that there is a workaround for this or have I just lost years of account info.

Thanks

Wateravon

Sunday, September 1, 2013 8:33 AM

All replies

• Can you still open Money on the old computer?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Same issue.  Just installed Money on Win 8. Have the old money files, but no clue about any passwords that I may have created long ago for any of the files.  What to do?
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 5:24 AM
  • Same issue.  Just installed Money on Win 8. Have the old money files, but no clue about any passwords that I may have created long ago for any of the files.  What to do?

What version of Money did you install? If Money 2005, use the installation file appropriate to your country as described in what now shows as the second link in this forum.

• Proposed as answer by Monty821 Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:18 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:45 PM
  • Money Plus Sunset Deluxe
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:56 AM
  • Are you in  the US?  Was your Money files created with the US (or Canadian) version of Money?
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Canadian Version of Money

Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:41 AM
  • AFAIK, a money file created with the Canadian version of Money should be readable by Money Sunset so that is most likely not the problem.  If you do require a password, there is no way to get in without it.  All you can do is try all of the old passwords you remember and hope that one works.  Write them down as you think of them so you know what you have tried.  Good luck.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Ouch - unfortunately, I am one of those who routinely changes her passwords and doesn't use the same one for everything.  I will be at this forever, and may not get anywhere still....  Is there no way to find it buried in code somewhere?

Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:46 PM
  • The password is not buried in the code.

If you remembered something about the password, there is a program that can read a list that you prepare. It could try variations such as a number added to a known password. If you remember nothing of the password, think where you might have written down the password. Keep a pad of paper next to your bed. It can start checking all combinations, but that would take impossibly unless the password was very short.

There are two kinds of passwords.  There is LiveID (Passport), has both an email address and a password as part of the credentials and which I presume you are talking about, and there is a conventional password. The password is case-sensitive.

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Then write down all of the email addresses you might have used. Think of permutations. Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try. Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials. Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people will use similar passwords for different applications.

When you have your list, disconnect from the Internet.  Start Money, and try to log in offline. Try all of the permutations you can think of. Write down what worked. We did have one poster succeed in remembering the credentials.

Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  In any case, you will need to use the credentials that were in effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:57 PM
  • Thanks - helpful, but only in that it confirms my worst fears.  I have already tried all e-mail addresses I have used in the past (that I can recall) and passwords that I would have used for longer periods as I presumed it had to be matched to the one when the file was last used.  No luck.  That was before I contacted MS forums - realistically, you were my last hope.  I think I will have to start over.  The organizations whose ledgers are on MS Money won't be very happy to have lost all their historical financial information....   Let's just say that this is not one of my favourite features in an MS program.  Thanks for the clarifications :-(
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Do you still have access to your old computer?  If so, you may be able to open your Money file there and do a qif export of all account data. Then you can import the data into Sunset on your Windows 8 machine.  It a bit of work and it doesn't transfer everything but it may get you out of your current bind.  See: http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Monty821 Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:19 PM
    Monday, September 9, 2013 11:24 AM