How much noise does your HP MediaSmart EX47x make? RRS feed

• Question

• I received my HP EX470 yesterday and connected it today.

It makes far more noise than I expected.  It probably makes twice as much noise as my [relatively quiet] PC.

If you feel your HP is quiet, can you check your Hardware Status under Windows Home Server Settings and compare your fan speeds and temperatures to those below?

My fan speed and temps

Friday, December 14, 2007 4:05 AM

All replies

• I can usually hear it when balancing kicks off, but not otherwise. My fan speeds are slightly higher, as are my temps.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 4:23 AM
  • Key thing here is that some reviews have stated that the MediaSmart Server is a "silent" home server - it really isn't. My experience is that when the fans kick in, it's broadly equivalent to a small standard desktop PC...

Terry

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:38 AM
  • All I can say is that it's not going to be silent if it's got fans. Fans require holes in the case, and holes in the case let sound out. And of course, fans make noise themselves. I expect it would be louder in a small enclosed space, or in a warmer environment (my office is conditioned to 21° C). But as I said, the only time I hear it, it's drive noise that I hear. And it's less than 10' from me.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 12:43 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.

I built all my PCs to run virtually silent with passive cooling, quiet hard drives, and a 1000rpm 120mm fan.   The fans in HP Homeserver are very noticeable from 8-10' away in my relatively small office.

I don't understand why HP didn't use quieter fans, or reduce the RPMs at lower temperatures.  My fans never seem to drop below 1390rpm, despite an ambient room temperature of 70-72 degrees.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 4:39 PM
  •   When I first received my HP EX470 5 weeks ago; my fans were running at 1300-1400 RPM.

I have since added 3 1TB drives and my fans now run at 2300-2400 RPM.I guess the Bios is setup to increase spped with more hard drives attached. Still the sound is not that loud.

The HP's are designed to keep the Hard Drives cooler than one in a desktop PC.

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:20 PM