Re-Installing WHS RRS feed

• Question

• My installation developed a problem when I tried (unsuccessfully) to install Avast Antivirus.  I started to hang on restart, stopping at the blue splash screen after disconnecting all drives etc.  Althpough I have uninstalled Avast, the problem remains and it is giving me problems now installing updates including Power Pack 1, although all other functions appear OK.

I have decided that I need to re-install WHS.  Is there any special procedure to follow and what should I look out for?  I am running a dual disk system.

Thanks,

Andy

Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:53 PM

Answers

•  Andy E (UK) wrote:

My installation developed a problem when I tried (unsuccessfully) to install Avast Antivirus.  I started to hang on restart, stopping at the blue splash screen after disconnecting all drives etc.  Althpough I have uninstalled Avast, the problem remains and it is giving me problems now installing updates including Power Pack 1, although all other functions appear OK.

I have decided that I need to re-install WHS.  Is there any special procedure to follow and what should I look out for?  I am running a dual disk system.

Thanks,

Andy

When you boot from the OEM DVD, you should have 2 options:  New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  (This one will wipe out the OS partition but leave the data in tact.)  If you don't see that option, don't proceed any further (since New Installation will format all of your drives at the time of install).

Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:58 PM
  • I assume that the version of Avast you tried to install was the WHS specific version? If not, then only try and install the version that is designed for WHS.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:29 AM
  • In which case, if you are happy to lose whatever is already there, I would suggest a clean install is the way to go.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:11 AM

All replies

•  Andy E (UK) wrote:

My installation developed a problem when I tried (unsuccessfully) to install Avast Antivirus.  I started to hang on restart, stopping at the blue splash screen after disconnecting all drives etc.  Althpough I have uninstalled Avast, the problem remains and it is giving me problems now installing updates including Power Pack 1, although all other functions appear OK.

Thanks,

Andy

When you boot from the OEM DVD, you should have 2 options:  New Installation and Server Reinstallation.  You want Server Reinstallation.  (This one will wipe out the OS partition but leave the data in tact.)  If you don't see that option, don't proceed any further (since New Installation will format all of your drives at the time of install).

Saturday, June 14, 2008 11:58 PM
  • I assume that the version of Avast you tried to install was the WHS specific version? If not, then only try and install the version that is designed for WHS.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Andrew,

Yes it was the WHS version.  I spent 2 weeks trying to install it but could not get it to work (despite help from the Avast forum).  I gave up and uninstalled and put F-Secure WHS on but by then the re-start problem was already evident.  I had originally tried CA e-Trust but realized my error.  Maybe the damage was done then, thougfh there was no sign of the re-start problem until I tried to install Avast.

Incidentally, F-secure installed like a dream and worked well until last week's hot fix deployments of WHS when it too stopped working.

I think a re-install of WHS is probably the best option now.  At least I get back to a clean baseline.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:41 AM
  • Andy

Thats probably the safest option.

If you have any problems doing the reinstall just shout.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:44 AM
  • When I have tried it has not offered a "Re-install" option only a "New Installation".  I don't think I have any unique data on the server (yet) so I may go from scratch.  I think this proves there is some real corruption on my system that the installation DVD does not recognize the current installation.

Any advice?

Andy

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:58 AM
  • Andy

It might be worth checking the drive order in the BIOS - WHS needs to be able to see all the drives in order to know there is data.

Also, do you need to load any additional drivers for your drives? If so, you need to do it before this point as well.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:01 AM
  • It gives a summary of all drives before offering the choice of install option.  I correctly identifies both of my drives, including the partition on the first drive where the OS is installed, so I don't think it is that.

Andy

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:06 AM
  • In which case, if you are happy to lose whatever is already there, I would suggest a clean install is the way to go.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:11 AM
  • Thanks for the help Andrew

Andy

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:15 AM
  • Anytime Andy

Any problems just shout :-)

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 11:19 AM