Genuine Check a virus/malware? RRS feed

• Question

• I was cleaning up my Download directory when I noticed a file named Genuine Check, an application that was 1,493 KB. Highlighting it said it was a Genuine Windows Validation by Microsoft Corporation, File Version 1.9.42.0. Not knowing what this was I googled it and had several results that said it was a virus or malware and had offers or suggestions for removing it from my system. This smelled like something planted by someone just so they could sell a piece of removal software.

How do I tell what is really going on here? Is this a piece of Microsoft programming or actually malware?

Jack

Friday, June 3, 2011 3:07 AM

Answers

• "jborchel" wrote in message news:2bddea5d-e54d-43e9-b99f-d84a1c341972...

I was cleaning up my Download directory when I noticed a file named Genuine Check, an application that was 1,493 KB. Highlighting it said it was a Genuine Windows Validation by Microsoft Corporation, File Version 1.9.42.0. Not knowing what this was I googled it and had several results that said it was a virus or malware and had offers or suggestions for removing it from my system. This smelled like something planted by someone just so they could sell a piece of removal software.

How do I tell what is really going on here? Is this a piece of Microsoft programming or actually malware?

Jack

The file is probably genuine -
    It's the result of using the alternative Validation process when accessing an MS page restricted to validated machines.
    I'd just delete it and forget it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:20 AM