Storage Problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I am on my third install of WHS. The first was working well until a hardware failure on the system drive screwed it all up.

I have 3 hard disks in the server. All are 80gb.

The system, obviously, uses a 20gb partition on one of the drives. In the home server console I can see the other two and add them to the storage array. When I add them to the storage array they appear in the console and the console reports 227gb total.

When I look at the D: drive, or map a drive on a remote computer, the total size is reported as 55gb (80gb drive = 75gb real world - 20gb for the system = 55gb)

I could swear that on my first install the D: drive size was reported correctly. I can see nothing amiss in the Event Viewer relating to storage. I'm stumped.

I was going to add some 500gb drives but if they aren't going to work I don't see the point.

Please Help

Jo

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:42 PM

Answers

• What you're seeing is normal behavior. When you access a share over your network, all the client PC will see is the space on the primary data partition (D: ). The console sees (and sums) the free space on all drives in the storage pool to tell you how much total space there is free in the pool, but that isn't possible for the network shares.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:09 PM

All replies

•  Johimself wrote:

Hello,

I am on my third install of WHS. The first was working well until a hardware failure on the system drive screwed it all up.

I have 3 hard disks in the server. All are 80gb.

The system, obviously, uses a 20gb partition on one of the drives. In the home server console I can see the other two and add them to the storage array. When I add them to the storage array they appear in the console and the console reports 227gb total.

When I look at the D: drive, or map a drive on a remote computer, the total size is reported as 55gb (80gb drive = 75gb real world - 20gb for the system = 55gb)

I could swear that on my first install the D: drive size was reported correctly. I can see nothing amiss in the Event Viewer relating to storage. I'm stumped.

I was going to add some 500gb drives but if they aren't going to work I don't see the point.

Please Help

Jo

The numbers look correct too me, what numbers did you expect to see?

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:52 PM
  • What you're seeing is normal behavior. When you access a share over your network, all the client PC will see is the space on the primary data partition (D: ). The console sees (and sums) the free space on all drives in the storage pool to tell you how much total space there is free in the pool, but that isn't possible for the network shares.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

So how do I use the space? The problem is that when i put files in the storage area the 55GB fills up.

What I was expecting to happen was that I would be able to use the drives I was adding to storage to store things on.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:05 AM
  • You're over-complicating things for yourself. Read the documentation, plug your discs in, add them using the WHS console from a client PC. Don't remote desktop onto the server.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:13 AM
  • i'm also having this same issue...D (data) drive shows as 55gb total when i have almost 1tb available via network shares.

I understand why this is...but when i go and transfer into the network share instead of directly to the disk, it still takes up part of the 55gb disk space.

i am using remote desktop for this, is there a problem in doing that?

How should i direct my download files (initated on the home server) so that i take up the network share storage pool instead of the local 55gb?

i try going though the "shared folders on home server" link on the desktop instead of going to d:\shares...and all it does is take longer to transfer, but it still ends up taking up the 55gb of space.

I dont seem to have this problem when i transfer files from another computer on the network to my home server...only when i want to download directly onto the home server
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 4:59 PM
  •  

Evening JV,

Under normal circumstances, you should NEVER be using RDP to add or remove files to WHS. They should only be added via the shared folders on your clients' desktop. -You have read the documentation?

When you have such a small primary drive, this something you will have to put up with, to simplify the actual process, your 55gb is the 'staging area' that WHS uses, it will migrate the data transferred there around the WHS storage pool and then you will be able to add further files. This is why Microsoft recommend you use your largest drive as the primary drive and experience on here seems to suggest somewhere around 300gb is an optimum size.

HTH,

Colin

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:54 PM
  • so what would be the best way to download files directly to the server? my problem is i dont want to leave 2 computers on during the day. i have configured a system for whs that is low power/low noise and i'd prefer to do all my downloading to that directly. is there any way to do that without using up my "staging area"? or is there any way to transfer from my staging area to my storage pool without using a separate computer?

i'll look through the documentation again, but i really do appreciate your help!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:05 PM
  • You don't transfer files from the staging area to the storage pool, the Drive Extender component of Windows Home Server does that. All your interaction with the file system on the server (unless you're willing to risk breaking WHS) should be with the network shares. This includes copying files to the server. During the beta program, there was a shortcut on the Administrator desktop on the server to make it possible to do this through Remote Desktop as well. (I don't know if that shortcut is still present in RTM, as it seems that the USA has the slowest product distribution system known to man. Smile )

If there is no such shortcut, you can still access the network shares from the server desktop. Open the Start menu on the server, select Run.., then type \\server (replace server with the machine name of your server; that's the default, though) and hit Enter. That will give you access to the shares. This is somewhat faster than copying the same files across your network.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:18 PM
  • rtm is out already?!?!  haha...i'm still using RC.

anyways, yes i have a shortcut on my desktop to transfer via the network shares...but even if i transfer that way, it still takes up space on the staging area rather than the storage pool.

is this because i'm using RDP to do this? i haven't had a chance to try this logging on locally.

if push comes to shove, i'll just trasfer all the data to another computer and then transfer it back...

however, i should be able to download files directly into the network share and have whs use the correct storage space, correct? (without using a client computer)

-------------------------------------------

edit: i see now it was RTM release on july 16th...wow i'm behind
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:26 PM
  •  jvillarreal1 wrote:
    rtm is out already?!?!  haha...i'm still using RC.

anyways, yes i have a shortcut on my desktop to transfer via the network shares...but even if i transfer that way, it still takes up space on the staging area rather than the storage pool.

Correct.  That is the way WHS works (which is why it's recommended to use a large drive as your primary drive).

jvillarreal1 wrote:

is this because i'm using RDP to do this? i haven't had a chance to try this logging on locally.

No, it is working the way it's designed to work.  Just drop the files to \\[servername]\[sharename] and wait.  You will only be able move about 50 GB of data at one time.  Then you will have to wait for it to migrate the data before you can add more data to the network shares.

jvillarreal1 wrote:

if push comes to shove, i'll just trasfer all the data to another computer and then transfer it back...

If your connected to WHS through \\server, you should be ok.  You just have to wait for it to move the data around before you can add more.  Frankly, I think you should consider getting a bigger drive and starting over, but that's just my opinion....

jvillarreal1 wrote:

however, i should be able to download files directly into the network share and have whs use the correct storage space, correct? (without using a client computer)

Correct, but you will have to wait for it to move the data since your primary drive is so small.

Friday, September 28, 2007 12:27 AM
  • yea, i'm still using RC2 so when i get RTM i'm just going to backup all my shares data and redo the whole thing.

Good to know and verify that this is how everything works.

how long does it normally take to migrate data?  (i know it depends on system specs, but i have fairly recent hardware)

i'm assuming it's as fast as my slowest hard drive...
    Friday, September 28, 2007 1:31 AM
  •  jvillarreal1 wrote:
    yea, i'm still using RC2 so when i get RTM i'm just going to backup all my shares data and redo the whole thing.

Good to know and verify that this is how everything works.

how long does it normally take to migrate data?  (i know it depends on system specs, but i have fairly recent hardware)

i'm assuming it's as fast as my slowest hard drive...

That's the big question. Smile  When I had 2 drives, the data would seem to sit on the primary drive for anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple hours before doing anything (although rebooting would seem to kick it off faster).  Now that I have 3 drives (and more free space), it actually puts the files directly to a different drive (instead of the primary).  But like I said before, I think you would be better off with a bigger primary drive, no matter what the speed....

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:45 AM
  • yea, i have 6 hard drives in the system...and of course out of habit i put the OS on the smallest one  -_-

i rebooted and .5gb magically appeared, and i keep refreshing and it seems to be going at about 1gb every 2 or 3 mins...but rebooting definately "kicked it off".

i'm guessing you dont know a way to speed up the data migration process without rebooting the server...?

i'm going to try ghosting my primary drive to something bigger and see if that works so then i can just upgrade to RTM.

i've noticed when i transfer a larger size file to my whs (over 1gb), the upload freezes about 3/4 way through and the time shoots from 2 mins to 10 mins for example.

I have a gigabit network and when i transfer files between other computers i dont have this problem.

could this again be because of the hard drive moving things from the staging area?  i guess i'll see if the problem goes away when i implement a larger primary drive.

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:46 AM
  • I know of a couple of ways to "kick off" DEMigrator, but a reboot is faster and safer than my alternatives. Smile

Regarding the moving of large files, I don't think it's just because of DE that you're seeing the slowdown, though that's probably part of it. I have the same issue, BTW, but haven't had time to track it down, and it's not a huge problem for me because I don't copy huge files to my server every day.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 3:00 AM
  • yea, thats most of the reason why i decided to download things directly to the server...and hence, ran into the inital problem i was talking about Smile
    Friday, September 28, 2007 4:04 AM
  •  

Right - I've set my downloading program to use the UNC path to the server (even though its local) so we shall see how it goes.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Do i have to use the WHS interface to create shared folders that work with DEM?

or can i just go the standard share folder route? because i want to make some folders that dont show up on whs console
    Friday, September 28, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it best to use the WHS console to creat/manage the share folders, and you can setup the access as well.

My best.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 5:55 PM
  • You can create shares outside of the WHS console, but such shares can't be managed using Drive Extender.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 7:51 PM