Remote Access - WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble completing my router config for remote access to my WHS.  When I run the validation, I get a 'failed' icon for the following: 1) "your router supports UPnP standards" 2) "your router is accepting Web site connections" 3) your router is accepting Remote Access connections". 
    I've gone into the router config and changed all these to allow, but I'm still not getting anywhere.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 4:31 PM

Answers

• If you're getting a failure on UPnP support, then no matter what your router manual says, it doesn't support UPnP. You will need to manually configure your router. There's a lot of information on that here in the forums, or in the Remote Access technical brief, but basically you will need to configure your router to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your home server. You will probably also have to give your home server a static IP address. Most consumer routers either will not forward to a dynamically assigned IP address at all (the server is configured this way by default) or will not do so correctly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:39 AM

All replies

• Can you see the rules created by your WHS on the router ?
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:30 PM
  • How would I go about finding those?
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:30 AM
  • If you're getting a failure on UPnP support, then no matter what your router manual says, it doesn't support UPnP. You will need to manually configure your router. There's a lot of information on that here in the forums, or in the Remote Access technical brief, but basically you will need to configure your router to forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to the IP address of your home server. You will probably also have to give your home server a static IP address. Most consumer routers either will not forward to a dynamically assigned IP address at all (the server is configured this way by default) or will not do so correctly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:39 AM
  • Thanks Ken. 

Took me a while to figure out how to forward the ports, (Shout out to the Linksys online chat guy.  First time I've ever received useful tech support from a company.) but once I got that figured out everything worked great.

Maybe you should call yourself Sir Posts-a-lot.  You're everywhere man!
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:32 PM