Database Administrator or Database Developer RRS feed

• Question

• I have passed 70-431. Now there are two paths in front of me. 
    One is to pass 70-441 and 70-442 and become Database Developer and
    Second is to pass 70-443 and 70-444 and become Database Administrator
    Now I'm really confused in here. What's the difference between Database Developer and Database Administrator here? So what do you suggest me to become? Developer or Administrator?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:56 AM

Answers

• Hi

What's the difference between Database Developer and Database Administrator here?

DBA is a person responsible for the daily care and feeding of a database.
    A DBA's primary responsibility is to ensure that the database is available,
    is performing properly and is kept safe. This includes such tasks as software installation,
    upgrades and patching, backup and recovery, performance tuning, security,
    monitoring, problem solving, etc.

Database Developer

high level documentation produced in the initial stages to create the
    actual working database application. Physically builds all the components
    e.g. tables, forms, queries, reports, programs etc that turns the requirements
    of the organisation and the ideas of the analysts designers into a working
    reality.

What do you suggest me to become? Developer or Administrator?

So It is upto you which one you are going to take, Depends on your current Role and Personal Interest you can chose.

Nag Pal
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 6:27 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi

What's the difference between Database Developer and Database Administrator here?

is performing properly and is kept safe. This includes such tasks as software installation,

Database Developer

reality.

So It is upto you which one you are going to take, Depends on your current Role and Personal Interest you can chose.

Nag Pal
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 6:27 AM
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:05 AM
  • I think you should think over what you want to get from these certification or technology .for example ,you want to get higher salary in one  of technology or satisfaction ,or any other?

And ,which certification or technology are you  more interested in .
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Hi

Database Developer

reality.

Nag Pal
    I guess I'll go for DBA based on my knowledge on SQL Server. Also I like to get Upgraded from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008. Can you tell me any preparation material?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:45 PM

• If you just want to pass the exams ,I think the following 3 books are useful for u .

Designing a Database Server Infrastructure by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 : 70-443 Exam
    MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-443): Designing a Database Server Infrastructure Using Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005 (Pro Certification) (Hardcover)
    Optimizing and Maintaining a Database Administration Solution by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 : 70-444 Exam

if you want to upgrade from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008,maybe you will like the following 2 books:
    Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management and Administration

Of course ,to pass a  exam ,just those books are not enough .
     You may  purchase or download some practice exams from a some place like measureup.com .to see where you stand, then spend your time on the areas where you are weak.
    Some Online trainning resources from microsoftpdf or microsoftebook or MS Classroom Training
    Friday, September 18, 2009 1:49 AM

• If you just want to pass the exams ,I think the following 3 books are useful for u .

Designing a Database Server Infrastructure by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 : 70-443 Exam
    MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-443): Designing a Database Server Infrastructure Using Microsoft® SQL Server(TM) 2005 (Pro Certification) (Hardcover)
    Optimizing and Maintaining a Database Administration Solution by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 : 70-444 Exam

if you want to upgrade from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008,maybe you will like the following 2 books:
    Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft))
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management and Administration

Of course ,to pass a  exam ,just those books are not enough .
     You may  purchase or download some practice exams from a some place like measureup.com .to see where you stand, then spend your time on the areas where you are weak.
    Some Online trainning resources from microsoftpdf or microsoftebook or MS Classroom Training
    Thank you for the valuable information. I also like to Upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 by passing 70-453. Can you provide some info on this exam? How many questions will be there in this exam? What is the pattern of this exam?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:04 AM
  • I am sorry .as recently I am very busy.MIcrosoft site said the format of the exams  is not sure and changing .
    however ,Many forums and some passing 70-443 said that ,single and mutiple choice in the exams .
    In my opinion ,this article about how to prepare 70-433 maybe useful for u to prepare the exam:

http://www.microsoftkit.com/best-study-guide-for-70-433-exam/
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:47 AM