none
802.11 UMXDot11.exe performance comparison RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I realized that there is a significant rx performance difference between the UMXDot11.exe files in the SoraSDK1.5\bin and SoraSDK1.5\target\chk_wxp_x86\i386 folders (built right after a clean installation). 

My system has 2 machines with SORA boards each using RF2450 daughterboards and the antenna outputs are connected by straight cable with 30dbi attenuators. I am using 802.11b and comparing the rx performance.

The UMXDot11.exe rx command using the file in SoraSDK1.5\bin folder has a relatively high performance matching(close enough) the number of txmittions as reported by the txmitter. On the other hand, UMXDot11.exe file in the SoraSDK1.5\target\chk_wxp_x86\i386 folder obtained by a clean built reports only close to half of the packets. 

Does the file in the bin folder fixes some bug in the rx routine?

I tried debugging and figured out that the spd seems to be working when the rx routine is taken out of the loop reporting exact number of distinct txmittions (obtained by some modifications). It seems like the rx routine gets stuck at some point causing packet losses. An overall look at BB11BRx function says that there should be an exit point (BB11B_E_ENERGY) due to sample energy being low indicating but it does not seem to be working. 

Monday, May 21, 2012 6:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Babazula,
    The binaries in the folder SoraSDK1.5\bin should be equivalent to the binaries built in the folder SoraSDK1.5\target\fre_wxp_x86\i386. I guess your problem is caused by chk build (debug build). Please try build in WinDDK fre build (release build) environment.

The chk/fre build difference is known and expected. The implementation of baseband are highly optimizable in fre build. Sorry for the inconvenience. If any more question, please let us known.
    Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Babazula Monday, May 21, 2012 7:44 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 6:53 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Babazula,
    The binaries in the folder SoraSDK1.5\bin should be equivalent to the binaries built in the folder SoraSDK1.5\target\fre_wxp_x86\i386. I guess your problem is caused by chk build (debug build). Please try build in WinDDK fre build (release build) environment.

The chk/fre build difference is known and expected. The implementation of baseband are highly optimizable in fre build. Sorry for the inconvenience. If any more question, please let us known.
    Thanks!

• Marked as answer by Babazula Monday, May 21, 2012 7:44 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 6:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the fast reply. I can confirm that the fre built seems to have a faster performance.

Babazula

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:47 AM
  • Hi, Babazula,

Sorry to bother you.  I have the problem to communicate between two sora station using umxdot11.exe, the config of which is 11b,1000kbps.

The command I used is

-dut start

-%Sora_path/UMXdot11.exe tx/rx

but the output of rx terminal is "receive 0 correct frame, the throughput is 0.000Mbps".

I notice that your have implement the communication using umxdot11.exe.

Could you tell me what is your cmd command to use umxdot11.exe? And what is your cmd output? Is there sth. I missed?

Hope for your reply. 

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:46 AM
  • Problem resolved.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:31 AM
  • I think the main problem with the stock implementation is the lack of automatic gain control algorithms. Especially radios close to each other tx and rx gains should be decreased. Once they are set correctly, the radios start to receive frames successfully. 

Babazula

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:24 AM