Adding USB storage RRS feed

• Question

• Can I add an external USB drive that already contains my audio and video files without WHS reformatting the whole thing?

Monday, July 14, 2008 4:15 PM

Answers

•  Anonymous234523452345sdfgsdfgsdf wrote:
    Just sharing a folder on that USB drive without adding it to the pool is my goal.  As previous poster mentioned, this folder is too large to copy onto the normal drive into the "shares" folders.  I don't know if the dual drive problem has been patched yet but, still, it is too big.
    If you want Windows Home Server to manage the share, then you must create it through the console, which means that it must be in the storage pool. If you're comfortable creating shares yourself, you can connect to your server using Remote Desktop and just create a share. You'll have to manage it entirely yourself.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

ye, you can. When you plug it in, WHS will ask you if you want to add it to the pool, just say 'No'. However it will be just a drive, you won't be able to access it's contents through the WHS, or use any of the WHS functions like duplication.

You would have to go into the disk management section after remoting into the server, and give the disk a drive letter which you could then see over your network.

What did you intend to do with the information on the drive? You could always connect it, don't add it to the pool and then copy it's data off to your Shared Folders prior to adding the now empty drive to the server storage.

Colin

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:12 PM
  • My goal was to be able to share my media library - I have digitised every album I have bought over the last 35 years. It is about 5x the size of the drive in the media server.

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Well, I'm afraid it won't work through the WHS media streaming unless it's part of WHS.

Your only option then, would be to purchase another drive for the server, then copy the files over. Alternatively, do you have available space elsewhere, which could act as a temporary storage?

Colin

Monday, July 14, 2008 5:52 PM

• That's what I would do!
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:28 PM
  • This got a little far afield.  To simplify, I have added a USB drive and want to share the contents.  Don't worry about media servers or media anything else complicating the situation. 

Just sharing a folder on that USB drive without adding it to the pool is my goal.  As previous poster mentioned, this folder is too large to copy onto the normal drive into the "shares" folders.  I don't know if the dual drive problem has been patched yet but, still, it is too big.

Any help with that straight sharing task?

Thanks!

Mike (still cannot get rid of that anonymous author listing)
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:56 AM
  •  Anonymous234523452345sdfgsdfgsdf wrote:
    If you want Windows Home Server to manage the share, then you must create it through the console, which means that it must be in the storage pool. If you're comfortable creating shares yourself, you can connect to your server using Remote Desktop and just create a share. You'll have to manage it entirely yourself.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 4:27 AM