none
Mouse driver update coincides with difficulty keeping my cursor in place for typing anything, anywhere!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am on a refurbished HP 15 - f387wm laptop that I purchased a few months ago through Walmart. It has Windows 10, & also the screen touch capacity. I have had very small issues that I have been able to solve through standard searches. Not the case here! I first noticed that my Google Chrome shortcut kept disappearing from my tool bar below. I would then try the desktop icon to no avail. So I went to control panel & uninstalled, & reinstalled Google two days in a row. Obviously don't want to do that every day.... Now, something even more maddening is happening! I sell on eBay for extra income to supplement my disability pay. I haven't been able to renew listings the last two days due to this problem, much less type up new ones! My IT guy told me years ago to turn my java off for security reasons, & only add it on a site by site need. I do the same with third party cookies. It seems worth it as I no longer get tons of malware, browser hijacks, etc., that I am aware of. I have a Premium version of Malwarebytes, & a paid CCleaner from Piriform that I try to check every few days. I sat & observed the cursor is available when my background remains dark (approx 8 sec.), then the color from my underlying "chosen theme" shifts to the lighter shade of the actual theme (approx. 8 sec.) which knocks my cursor out. Rinse, & repeat... 

I am having trouble keeping my cursor in place for the last two days. I barely get more than two words & the cursor just seems to jump into the stratosphere! I switched to a corded mouse thinking that would help. It didn't. I switched browsers, no difference. Now I see there was a driver update for the mouse & it is seriously irritating to lose your spot to type more than two words! Help? Please use basic lingo as I am just an average computer literate - not a developer! Thank You for your time! This much took me over 35 minutes to type due to cursor movement!  Something has GOT to give! I don't want to end up in a padded room tomorrow over this!!  :P  

A single entry on my Windows update page says it was successfully installed 9/6/17  -  Synaptics - Mouse - 8/16/2017 12:00:00 AM - 19.3.31.31

Thank you again, in advance!

~~ Jdcrx2001

Friday, September 8, 2017 5:49 AM

All replies

• Hi JD,

As this is a recently purchased laptop your best support option is to contact HP for support (http://support.hp.com/).

For general Windows questions that are not developer questions, please go to answers.Microsoft.com.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:47 PM
  • That is all well & good, but the search I started on Microsoft's forum led me here. Do developer's not come up with the updated drivers? That is what caused my issue! 

So, forgive me, I will start all over & take another hour to post, & wait, & only get outdated responses!

Friday, September 8, 2017 9:57 PM
  • Hi JD,

If you are a driver Developer the MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) forums would be a good place to ask questions about writing drivers for Windows.

In your case however, HP will have drivers specific to their hardware that do not come from Microsoft so they are your OEM and will know exactly what your hardware requires.  Microsoft will not have that specific knowledge.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:54 PM