Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Compaq Mini 110c-1010Ee

I bought this laptop with windows home edition already installed on it and it was a geniune copy. I needed to reinstal the windows bcoz of some problems. My cd key printed on the back of the laptop was somehow faded. I reterived the key by using some software on the net. I installed a wrong window on the pc after formating it. Now i want to reinstall the xp home edition and i have the key but i am not sure is it right or not? how will i chek thet the product key is real or not????

Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:43 PM

Answers

• "Muneeba Khan" wrote in message news:2c141a0b-219e-4611-b665-7658486365d8...

Compaq Mini 110c-1010Ee

I bought this laptop with windows home edition already installed on it and it was a geniune copy. I needed to reinstal the windows bcoz of some problems. My cd key printed on the back of the laptop was somehow faded. I reterived the key by using some software on the net. I installed a wrong window on the pc after formating it. Now i want to reinstall the xp home edition and i have the key but i am not sure is it right or not? how will i chek thet the product key is real or not????

The only way is to install it and see if it works - however, it's likely that the Key you retrieved from the installation is not the same as the one on your COA sticker, and will not work with a normal installation disk - you need to use the Compaq Recovery disk, or the built-in recovery software
    Apparently, hitting the F6 key during the boot process is supposed to run the recovery system - make sure that you've backed up your data to external storage first!
    If you blew that away when you reinstalled, then you'll have to order a set of recovery disks from Compaq - these usually have the proper key preloaded. (which will probably be the same as the one you recovered from the old installation)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:29 AM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:18 PM