Automating UPD renaming upon size limit RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I've recently joined the IT Crowd as a 1st line and am currently learning powershell (just started). I am looking to create a script to run so that when our remote user profile disk's hit their size limit they can be renamed (of course once the user logs out). I have a script ready for inactivity deletion so that it can also be run to completely automate this part of my job and free up some time for other projects and general tasks.

Apologies if I've missed a thread or any in the repository but I could not see anything.

(this would be on WS2012R2) 

P.S. I'm not looking for someone to just hand me a script (I wouldn't learn as much) i'm primarily looking to see if others have attempted this and if it's even possible or whether something like this can be simply done via GPO.

Cheers

• Edited by DM Pegrum Monday, July 16, 2018 10:50 AM
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:58 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:58 PM This is not "scripts on demand"
    Monday, July 16, 2018 10:38 AM

All replies

• I think the probability that someone has already written a script that meets all of your specific requirements is essentially zero.

However, the probability that existing scripts might accomplish parts of what you want to do is likely much higher.

The point is that you will need to learn PowerShell yourself so that you will be able to look at code examples and things other people have written and adapt the code to suit your requirements.

We are not able to do this for you in a forum, as already noted.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, July 16, 2018 2:14 PM
  • I appreciate your time in replying, however as already stated I am not looking for anyone to do it for me as also stated I would not learn from that and I am currently learning powershell.

All I am looking for is if anyone out there has attempted or successfully managed to accomplish what I am wanting to do. I have searched and search, looked at scripts that do parts of what I want and in the meantime I am combining these to try to achieve the end goal, as far no luck. 

So whilst I appreciate you taking the time to reply, it would have been good to fully read what I had posted specially after editing the post to clarify after JRV's post. A little direction is all i'm looking for from all you pros out there with alot more experience than myself. 

Monday, July 16, 2018 3:22 PM
  • What you have posted is not unusual as a disclaimer.  As Bill has noted.  It is not likely that others have written your script.

As noted above you will need to start by learning enough about PowerShell to understand how to recognize scripts that can be helpful. You will also have to learn Windows technology, AD and WMI.

More directly.  What you area asking can be done in PowerShell.  Look in the Gallery (link posted above) and you will find scripts that you can adapt.

When you have your script post back with any specific issues.

If you just want to delete old profiles the look into DELPROF2.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, July 16, 2018 4:48 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2018 4:46 PM
  • I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous response.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, July 16, 2018 4:46 PM