Dynamics CRM 2013- Want to change the Business unit of the user but not the BUID of the activities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to change the business unit of a user, but I don't want the activities of that user to be assigned to the new business unit. I want the activities to still be assigned to the user and visible to the old business unit's users. The activities must be remained with the old business unit because that unit will get credit for those activities not the new unit.

So what I need is only a change in the business unit ID in the user table but not any changes in the activities. I have created a trigger on the user table to update the business unit ID but I'm sure there should be a supported way by changing the relationship.

so how is it possible to tell dynamics to only change the business unit of the user but not changing the other records that are assigned to the user?

Do you have any suggestions?

Edwin

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:32 PM

Answers

• You cant.

The owner of the record defines the BU that it is related to.

The only way you can accomplish this, would be to change the owner of the records you dont want to be moved.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.dynateam.dk

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:28 PM

All replies

• You cant.

The owner of the record defines the BU that it is related to.

The only way you can accomplish this, would be to change the owner of the records you dont want to be moved.

Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM http://www.dynateam.dk

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:28 PM
  • Email activities, once sent or received are then closed, and cannot be edited.  So you cannot simply reassign them to another user.  You would need to use a workflow to change the status, then reassign them, and then change the status through a workflow back to their original closed state.

So potentially, you could use a workflow to change the status, assign them to the team of a business unit or a dummy user record in the BU, and then close them.  Then before moving the user to another BU, do an advanced find for all email activities that this user owns and run the workflow.

Jason Peterson

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:15 PM
  • thanks for the answers. however it's  complicated here and we cannot assign the activities and other records to somebody else.

for example a salesperson completes an activity or receives money (a sale was happened). now you want to see how many activities were completed by the salesperson and how many were completed by the entire business unit.

1) If I assign the activities to somebody else in the business unit, the original salesperson won't get the credit for those activities because they don't belong to him anymore.

2) If I assign the activities to somebody else in the business unit (a dummy user) and then change the business unit of the salesperson and then after the move I re-assign the activities to him, this won't let the other users in the first business unit to see the completed activities or any records that belongs to the salesperson.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:48 AM
  • thanks for the answer. however it's  complicated here and we cannot assign the activities and other records to somebody else.

for example a salesperson completes an activity or receives money (a sale was happened). now you want to see how many activities were completed by the salesperson and how many were completed by the entire business unit.

1) If I assign the activities to somebody else in the business unit, the original salesperson won't get the credit for those activities because they don't belong to him anymore.

2) If I assign the activities to somebody else in the business unit (a dummy user) and then change the business unit of the salesperson and then after the move I re-assign the activities to him, this won't let the other users in the first business unit to see the completed activities or any records that belongs to the salesperson.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:49 AM
  • thanks for the answer. however it's  complicated here and we cannot assign the activities and other records to somebody else.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:49 AM
  • hello,

Activities being user owned, will follow the user and business unit. Rather than using a trigger to update the buid , you can create a new custom field and use that to fill in the current business unit of the user when the sale was completed/activity was completed. This will keep a pointer to the current bu of the user even when the user moved into new business unit.

regards

Jithesh

Friday, December 19, 2014 8:10 AM