It wiped my machine!! RRS feed

• Question

• I installed OneCare a few days ago.  Initially highly impressed with how much my machine had speeded up, after uninstalling my previous antivirus.  It had been virtually unusable.  I asked a question of support and got a great response very quickly.  Replied saying I love Microsoft.  BIG mistake.

Today the app was telling me I had stuff I needed to do.  So I went into it and it said I had software updates to get.  I duly clicked on the links and went to the Windows update centre.  It spent the entire afternoon downloading and installing 3 updates, not sure what the first two were but the last was an update to the .NET framework.

Restarted computer and everything had gone.  Totally wiped.  Everything.  I have done a system restore in panic and thank God got all my files back.  BUT OneCare now won't load and my machine is running so slowly, it's taking me approximately 4 minutes to even switch between applications (and I only have Outlook and Firefox open).  I can't get in to the app to contact support through it, so am posting here.  H E L P.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:16 PM

Answers

• I'm not really sure if One Care damaged your updates or the updates damaged One Care. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• I'm not really sure if One Care damaged your updates or the updates damaged One Care. Send an e-mail with One Care in the subject line to jrap107@msn.com and I will help you contact support.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Thanks, have copied and pasted my post into an email I've sent to the above address.

Let's be clear on one thing though - I'm not really that arsed about "damage" to OneCare, I can always get rid of it.  I am concerned about damage to my PC though!  It WIPED it!  Well, something did.  That ain't funny!
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:39 PM
  • No, that's not funny at all which is why I suggest contacting support to both find the cause and a resolution to this issue.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:52 PM
  • If you were able to recover with System REstore, I suspect, as Jim does, that the Windows Update caused the issue. In fact, I suspect nothing was wiped, but that your User Profile was locked at reboot and you were presented with a new blank user when the PC rebooted, so it looked like a new PC. When this happens, a reboot usially resolves it.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:02 PM
  • try restore agian , pick adate before the cumputer lost everthing. it before  9 /4  009.   go in restore ,put in the date 8/4/009 . try this , let me no . i had fire foxx . it cash my pc,  when you down load  web carries , allways check the digial segnture. micoft . have aproblem with downloaded . re install your  antivius, let it go for afew weeks eric
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:31 PM