Validation issues RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive recently crashed and MDG (store here in Canada) had to get me a new one and reinstalled everything again.

I think they installed a different version of Windows Media Center this time and I wasn't give a sticker with they 25-digit  code.  I did however use the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic tool and another non-microsoft product to try to find it.  The diagnostic tool gives me only the last 15 digits, the other program gave me it all and those 15 at least were exactly the same in both cases.  And yet when I try to validate it, I'm told it is unauthorized.

I've noticed here someone usually asks for the report but how much of that can I post without giving too much away?:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated

Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med

That is part of it.  Should I include the product ID as well?

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:01 PM

Answers

• LSZ,

The WGA diagnostic report is not complete. Are you able to re-run the MGA and copy/paste then re-post? What you have described happens frequently when computers are repaired. Did you take your original to MDG and request them to install it to the new hard drive? Please try and re-accomplish the MGA so we may see the whole report. This will better enable us to analyze the situation and provide you with a solution. Also you should work with the repair location and request them to reinstall your originally windows software. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I think they just installed a different version of XP Media Center since they had to replace my hard drive. I still have the CDs from the version I had when I bought the PC (with the now dead hard drive) but I really prefer to not reinstall everything again myself.

There's the entire thing:

WGA Data-->
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-996DP-69XH9-RYJGM
    Windows Product Key Hash: tEF0gbuLTCfnJwH1h7DlkjHByJ8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2280306-00052
    ID: 2fe0efd6-064f-4911-a7cd-7a29f76e9a51
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>2fe0efd6-064f-4911-a7cd-7a29f76e9a51</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RYJGM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2280306-00052</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1480427170-1575360956-1029432929</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>DQ965GF_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>CO96510J.86A.4462.2006.0804.2059</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060804000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A5ED394F01848066</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:16 PM
  • LSZ,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with your Operating System and why it is not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product identification is blocked. 

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of the Operating system is an unauthorized installation. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to the retailer where you either purchased the system, repairs and/or upgraded the operating system. Let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you, correctly repair and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. We have seen similiar occurances when computers have been turned in for repairs and the hard drive was reformatted. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your software.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:58 PM
  • LSZ,

See this line in the mgadiag report, Line 3:  Windows Product Key: *****-*****-996DP-69XH9-RYJGM

Compare the characters in the above Product Key to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that should be affixed to the computer case.  If your repair shop is "on the ball" they should match.

If so, all you have to do is a Telephonic Activation.  (I would have thought the shop would have done this for you.)

See this MS KB on how to do a Telphonic Activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Good Luck and post back to tell us how you did!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:12 PM
  • The problem was that they didn't give me a new sticker when they gave me the new hard drive.

I just formatted and installed the version I had initially with the PC.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:49 PM
  • LSZ,

I am glad all is resolved. Did you purchase a new version of Windows at the same time you purchased the hard drive and had your system serviced? Did you take the original version of Windows and ask them to install it on your new hard drive?  There have been numerous occasions where customers have received a different copy of windows after they had their machines repaired. The repair facility should provide the software, COA and end user licensing agreement (EULA) when you purchase new softward. This is probaby you did not receive anything.  Have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:35 PM

All replies

• LSZ,

The WGA diagnostic report is not complete. Are you able to re-run the MGA and copy/paste then re-post? What you have described happens frequently when computers are repaired. Did you take your original to MDG and request them to install it to the new hard drive? Please try and re-accomplish the MGA so we may see the whole report. This will better enable us to analyze the situation and provide you with a solution. Also you should work with the repair location and request them to reinstall your originally windows software. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:08 PM
  • I think they just installed a different version of XP Media Center since they had to replace my hard drive. I still have the CDs from the version I had when I bought the PC (with the now dead hard drive) but I really prefer to not reinstall everything again myself.

There's the entire thing:

WGA Data-->
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-996DP-69XH9-RYJGM
    Windows Product Key Hash: tEF0gbuLTCfnJwH1h7DlkjHByJ8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2280306-00052
    ID: 2fe0efd6-064f-4911-a7cd-7a29f76e9a51
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070006
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>2fe0efd6-064f-4911-a7cd-7a29f76e9a51</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RYJGM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2280306-00052</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1480427170-1575360956-1029432929</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>DQ965GF_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>CO96510J.86A.4462.2006.0804.2059</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060804000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A5ED394F01848066</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:16 PM
  • LSZ,

I am sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is with your Operating System and why it is not passing validation. Unfortunately, the product identification is blocked. 

This is why you were seeing the "Software Counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of the Operating system is an unauthorized installation. As a customer there are options available to you for a resolution. For details on the ways to “Get Genuine”, see the web page that outlined your validation failure details or http://www.microsoft.com/genuine.  It will provide all of the possible steps which you can take.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please go back to the retailer where you either purchased the system, repairs and/or upgraded the operating system. Let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy and demand they immediately reimburse you, correctly repair and/or provide a Genuine Copy which was originally paid for. We have seen similiar occurances when computers have been turned in for repairs and the hard drive was reformatted. In any case, please uninstall the non-genuine installation to alleviate any complications which may arise from the non-genuine status of your software.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:58 PM
  • LSZ,

See this line in the mgadiag report, Line 3:  Windows Product Key: *****-*****-996DP-69XH9-RYJGM

Compare the characters in the above Product Key to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity that should be affixed to the computer case.  If your repair shop is "on the ball" they should match.

If so, all you have to do is a Telephonic Activation.  (I would have thought the shop would have done this for you.)

See this MS KB on how to do a Telphonic Activation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Good Luck and post back to tell us how you did!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:12 PM
  • The problem was that they didn't give me a new sticker when they gave me the new hard drive.

I just formatted and installed the version I had initially with the PC.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:49 PM
  • LSZ,

I am glad all is resolved. Did you purchase a new version of Windows at the same time you purchased the hard drive and had your system serviced? Did you take the original version of Windows and ask them to install it on your new hard drive?  There have been numerous occasions where customers have received a different copy of windows after they had their machines repaired. The repair facility should provide the software, COA and end user licensing agreement (EULA) when you purchase new softward. This is probaby you did not receive anything.  Have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:35 PM