none
XP will not boot up even in safe mode/normal/lngc

Question

• Basically my friend In Germany is having issues even booting up his XP due to validation issues. He could not even boot from Safe mode or nay other mode until there was a validation. Does this sound familiar? I`ve never really heard of this kind of issue and is kind of out of my realm of knowledge. I suggested maybe boot from OEM disc and repair or reinstall.  Any suggestions would be much aprreciated.  Thx!
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Schoolie,

WGA, in XP, has no ability to disable the user's ability to boot into XP.  WGA also can not force a user to log off or disable any of XP's functionality (with the possible exception of making your desktop background turn to black if the XP is non-genuine). All it can do is Notify the user if his Windows is found to be Non-Genuine.

If your friend can't login to Regular or Safe mode, there would be very little I (or even regular XP Support) would beable to do for him. So, I agree with you, I also suggest he reinstall (I just hope he has all his importent files already backed up).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:40 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Schoolie,

WGA, in XP, has no ability to disable the user's ability to boot into XP.  WGA also can not force a user to log off or disable any of XP's functionality (with the possible exception of making your desktop background turn to black if the XP is non-genuine). All it can do is Notify the user if his Windows is found to be Non-Genuine.

If your friend can't login to Regular or Safe mode, there would be very little I (or even regular XP Support) would beable to do for him. So, I agree with you, I also suggest he reinstall (I just hope he has all his importent files already backed up).

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:40 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Darin. Found out that he was able to eventually boot up. But, he had contacted MS about his copy of XP,which is valid,but the key was corrupt somehow. And him being in Germany,its not very easy for him to get ahold of customer service and work out a fix. I rested him assure that MS will help him and the customer service is second to none. Thanks for your response.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:19 PM