Server Installation DVD Does not install? RRS feed

• Question

• Just received the Windows Home Server trial (includes power pack 1) and will not install?
    Boot from DVD drive and it shows 'setup' with progress bars then goes blue screen for about 40 minutes then reboots to normal OS (Vista) like nothing happened. Have tried several times and still..???
    any help?

Thanks
    Monday, December 29, 2008 6:13 AM

All replies

• I have tried almost the same problem and I was installing WHS on a PC with 3 harddrives (no go).
    So then I tried with only one harddrive, the its was OK.
    After installation I add. the extra 2 drives and now its running OK.
    So try with only 1 drive first!
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:40 AM
  • Thanks, I will try this and let you know!
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Are you running with AHCI on the hard drives?

AHCI (as far as I know) requires special drivers that the Vista-setup part of WHS doesn't seem to pass to the automated Server 2k3 build it creates... So when it restarts into the installer, the installer can't use the hard drive and BSOD's.

Happened to me :(
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Is there a workaround, sorry know enough to get myself in trouble - but make out occasionally.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:31 AM
  • TJ.47 said:

Is there a workaround, sorry know enough to get myself in trouble - but make out occasionally.

If that is the problem, you could try checking the BIOS on the mobo to see if you can put the drives in IDE/Legacy mode (or some similar name).
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:25 AM
  • The initial (default) setting for the hard drive is (Native) RAID. when i reset to IDE (in BIOS), computer will not boot. Changed from (Native) to Legacy and computer still will not boot. Under both conditions the computer keeps resetting after the "press F2 = Bios, press F10 = Boot" screen. Still wont boot from disk either, same initial problem. Seems to be fairly frustrating. I am not a tech but have pretty good experience building computers for myself and this all seems a bit much for a program they wish to sell me after the "trial period". Really would like to get this up and going, any other alternatives?

Appreciate your help.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:02 AM
  • TJ.47 said:

The initial (default) setting for the hard drive is (Native) RAID. when i reset to IDE (in BIOS), computer will not boot. Changed from (Native) to Legacy and computer still will not boot. Under both conditions the computer keeps resetting after the "press F2 = Bios, press F10 = Boot" screen. Still wont boot from disk either, same initial problem. Seems to be fairly frustrating. I am not a tech but have pretty good experience building computers for myself and this all seems a bit much for a program they wish to sell me after the "trial period". Really would like to get this up and going, any other alternatives?

Appreciate your help.

You might try replacing the DVD drive.  Or you may just have a bad image.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:34 AM