none
Posting Error on Access for Developer RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• The same problem was reported a few months ago and a bug was registered. For some reason your reply is credited to user "MigrationUser 1" (sometimes a different digit). See this thread from January, with bug number in the last reply:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/6245069d-c3c0-4591-982f-f178e829cd48

It must not have been fixed yet.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by KCDW Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:53 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I haven't seen this problem - I hoped it was fixed, but apparently not yet.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:11 PM
  • While I can appreciate this has been reported before, it looks like there is no solution. It further looks like the Forums database has been infiltrated somehow to change the data. Mybe even by the Profile Owner MigrationUser*

It would be nice to see a report on what is being done about this as well as fixing the current issue. That thread response should be changed to say it is from me. Since this is a known issue someone in authority should modify the response to either show it is from me or remove it and modify my second post to indicate it is the first post.

These are things I would consider a solution. However it does answer the question posed why did it happen? It is a bug, maybe.

I'll mark this as answered, Thank you!

Chris Ward

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:53 PM
  • It is a bug, maybe.

There should not be a maybe in this statement. It is indeed a bug among many others.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:59 PM
  • I don't disagree Naomi.<o:p></o:p>

I just can't help but feeling that it is infiltration rather than a bug.<o:p></o:p>

I realize it has been reported as a bug, its just that my experience has shown me that usually a bug is something determineable, as something gone wrong, and there has not been a statement of determination. Further many times when I thought I had a bug it turned out that third party software or malicious software was the cause of the error rather than an actual bug. A bug is when a cause and effect system has gone awry on its own merit. This is a case where there seems to be no correlation between what is expected to happen and what did happen.

The forums broken down is really a database where information is stored and calculations are made. After reading other posts with similar yet different parameters, it seems possible that either third party or malicious software has infected the forums. Unless someone can promise this cannot happen then it is a possibility. Someone may wish to dress it up a little and not admit there is a bigger problem and claim "Oh it is just a bug".

Now I suppose one could argue that perhaps two users are entering posts at exactly the same time and there was a collision...But again after reading the threads linked to this one where there is a common user's profile "MigrationUser" followed by 0 or1 or 2 or 3 or whatever, that's smells extremely suspicious of maliciousness and can hardly be called a bug unless somehow the forums application can self generate profiles sequentially numbered and randomly choose between them to overtake some other users place in the sequence of postings and then give itself points for answering...<o:p></o:p>

On the other hand if a moderator or someone in a foreign sister program somehow were making mistakes when trying to perform some necessary moderator level tasks...<o:p></o:p>

In either of these scenarios it would not be a bug and there is nothing to suggest that these things did not occur. Further there is nothing other than a moderator stating he is listing one such occurrence as a bug, which does not qualify as having determined that the other scenarios are incorrect.<o:p></o:p>

I see nowhere, where a determination has been made that this could not be the workings of something other than a bug. Therefore, I can question whether this is a bug. I have every right to believe this is not a bug just as you have the right to believe it is. I will not tell you that you cannot believe otherwise and I expect the same respect from you. Once this has been proven to be a bug, then I will be happy to say Oh thank goodness Microsoft only makes mistakes and cannot be sabotaged.

I stand by my comment that "It is a bug, maybe".

Chris Ward

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:56 PM