WHS Connector Power Pack 2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 computers that were connected to WHS before the PP2 update. 
    After the update only 1 computer connects and continues to backup.

On the other computer I get the grey icon and a notice that I am not connected.

I followed the microsoft website help and removed the WHS connector software and tried a reinstall from the \\server\software\Home Server Connection Software folder.
    But this only installs PP1. 

Both the server and the non-connected computer are on the same network.  The WHS is hard wired to the router and the computer is a wirelessly connected desktop.

I downloded the WHSToolkit from microsoft.  it said there was a mismatch with the connection software, and i needed to downlod from the Home Server Connection Software folder. no luck only PP1 Connection software.

From the other computer I have checked that the WHS is running on PP2.  But I have not been able to find an Connector for PP2.
    And of course Microsoft is of little help.

I'm a little frustrated any suggestions?

Additional Info:
    Both personal computers are running XP.
    I can ping the server from the non-connection computer.

Should I re-install WHS?
    • Edited by Viisaus Monday, March 30, 2009 2:34 AM Update
    Monday, March 30, 2009 2:06 AM

Answers

• Well I have found the problem:

It was the router.  I have a 2Wire router/modem model 3800HGV-B.

Earlier in the week I had to manually configure the port forwarding for remote desktop access.
    The router kept changing the server to DMZonePlus, and I had to fight with it to just open the three necessary ports.

It turns out that the computer that was not connecting to WHS had been changed to the DMZonePlus.

If anyone else is having a problem make sure you check the firewall settings of your computer and your router.

thank you for the reply kariya21
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:47 AM

All replies

• I have 2 computers that were connected to WHS before the PP2 update. 
    After the update only 1 computer connects and continues to backup.

On the other computer I get the grey icon and a notice that I am not connected.

I followed the microsoft website help and removed the WHS connector software and tried a reinstall from the \\server\software\Home Server Connection Software folder.
    But this only installs PP1. 

Both the server and the non-connected computer are on the same network.  The WHS is hard wired to the router and the computer is a wirelessly connected desktop.

I downloded the WHSToolkit from microsoft.  it said there was a mismatch with the connection software, and i needed to downlod from the Home Server Connection Software folder. no luck only PP1 Connection software.

From the other computer I have checked that the WHS is running on PP2.  But I have not been able to find an Connector for PP2.
    And of course Microsoft is of little help.

I'm a little frustrated any suggestions?

Additional Info:
    Both personal computers are running XP.
    I can ping the server from the non-connection computer.

Should I re-install WHS?

You cannot download PP2 from anywhere other than through Windows Updates.  However, if you are looking at the EULA and seeing Power Pack 1, that's normal.  MS did not update the EULA to say Power Pack 2 on it.  Can you look to see what the day and time of WHSConnector.msi is in the Home Server Connector Software folder?  Also, when the versions between the server and client don't match, you get a red icon, not a gray one.  You could try unplugging your router from your modem then run Discovery.exe (found at C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server) from the client and see if it shows up.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 2:49 AM
  • The WHSConnector.msi is 3/10/2009 11:09PM.
    The setup.exe is version 6.0.2030.0, and reading other posts in the forum that looks right.

I have been following the whs__connect_tshoot.doc provided by microsoft.

I get the proper response when I type:
    http://
    <YourServerName>

But when I try:
    http ://<YourServerName>:55000/enrollid/id.xml

It does not work.  I am using windows Firewall, and AVG antivirus.
    I checked that discovery.exe is allowed by windows firewall.

I did have a red icon on the other computer today, and ran the update.  But no luck with the other.

I don't believe it is a firewall problem with the router because one computer is working fine.

I will try and unplug the router from the modem see if that works, and get back to the forum.

Thank you
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:22 AM
  • Well I have found the problem:

It was the router.  I have a 2Wire router/modem model 3800HGV-B.

Earlier in the week I had to manually configure the port forwarding for remote desktop access.
    The router kept changing the server to DMZonePlus, and I had to fight with it to just open the three necessary ports.

It turns out that the computer that was not connecting to WHS had been changed to the DMZonePlus.

If anyone else is having a problem make sure you check the firewall settings of your computer and your router.

thank you for the reply kariya21
    Monday, March 30, 2009 4:47 AM