Windows XP Home Edition Reinstalling/Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to reinstall windows xp home on a laptop which has been having issues.

The laptop is a Philips Freevents X50.

I do not have the original installation discs, and the machine is outside the warranty/support period.

On the reverse of the machine there is a label with the Windows XP Home Edition product key. The label also mentions DSG Retail Limited.

I am therefore assuming that I need a disc from them or a new key to reinstall windows.

Since I fear the above company will be unable to assist me, what can be done to reinstall windows using the legitimate key that is attached to the base of the laptop?

I do not want to have to pay out any additional costs for something that has already been paid for in the first place. This will simply force me to explore other routes which would not be in Microsoft's best interest.

How can I take this further? Please advise.

Additional Note: I have attempted to use another Windows XP Home CD to reinstall windows, but the key on the reverse will not work with this disc.
    Monday, April 30, 2007 1:44 PM

Answers

• HM2K,

Your first course of action is to contact DSG Retail Limited and request that they supply you with a replacement Recovery CD or genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP Home CDROM, whichever came with the computer when new.

Your second choice is to use a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP Home CDROM to reinstall Windows.  These CDs have "For distribution with a new PC" printed in the hologram label.  You probably tried to use a retail XP Home CD.

Depending upon the type of systembuilder DSG Retail Limited is/was, you may be able to order a replacement CD from MS here:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/7/b/37b3b0ed-a2b2-4ee4-b2ad-a43eb8b11a26/emea%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form-final.doc

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Hello Pntje,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:01 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:57 PM

All replies

• HM2K,

Your first course of action is to contact DSG Retail Limited and request that they supply you with a replacement Recovery CD or genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP Home CDROM, whichever came with the computer when new.

Your second choice is to use a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM XP Home CDROM to reinstall Windows.  These CDs have "For distribution with a new PC" printed in the hologram label.  You probably tried to use a retail XP Home CD.

Depending upon the type of systembuilder DSG Retail Limited is/was, you may be able to order a replacement CD from MS here:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/7/b/37b3b0ed-a2b2-4ee4-b2ad-a43eb8b11a26/emea%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form-final.doc

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:56 PM
  • 1, DSG Retail Limited will not reply to my emails, PC World (a subsidiary of DSG) will not respond to me without proof of purchase, which I do not have. I refuse to call them for the same reasons and it costs too much.

2, I tried an OEM cd, it would not allow me to enter the product key found on the bottom of the laptop in, it claims it is invalid. I can over-ride this by using a key used on another machine, but this will only complicate matters with the product activation.

3, It seems to retrieve a copy of the lost disc I must pay out 24EUR, which I do not wish to spend.

It seems as if Microsoft are backing me into a corner where I must either pay money or use illegitimate methods to achieve the same result.

Whereby I have a product key that came with the laptop, it has the product already installed, I require the ability to run a repair install to fix the installed product in order to use it, I am unable to do a repair install as I do not have the original Discs.

Options are to either purchase a new cd/license (pointless), or use a product key from another machine and over-ride the wpa (illegal).

Why am I faced with this moral dilemma, why can't Microsoft provide me with the ability to overcome this issue without having to pay them for something that is already paid for.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:51 PM
  • HM2K,

If you can, please run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Also, compare the portion of the Product Key reported by the mgadiag utility to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the CoA, and let us know if they match or not.

And, please post the exact error message you received when you tried to do a clean installation of XP Home edition using a genuine Microsoft systembuilder/OEM CD combined with the XP Home Edition Product Key shown on the CoA affixed to the bottom of the laptop.  Please note that the font used for the Product Key makes it easy to mistake the numeral "8" for the letter "B."  When running XP Setup from a genuine systembuilder/OEM CD, the Product Key from a genuine royalty OEM CoA for the same edition of XP will be accepted to allow Setup to continue to completion.  Activation, however, will have to be done via a Telephonic Activation.

Even if you had the original CDs supplied with the laptop, there is no guarantee that you would be able to run a repair reinstallation.  It's likely that the computer came with the type of CD normally supplied by major computer manufacturers, a Recovery CD, and as a general rule, this type of CD is not capable of running a repair reinstallation.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:54 AM
  • I'm having difficulties running anything, which is why a reinstall is required.

I know this is a legitimate key on the bottom of the laptop, there is no signs of tamper and it is genuine.

This laptop belongs to somebody else, I am simply repairing it for them while they are away.

They purchased this laptop directly from PC World as a new product.

This is also why I know it is genuine. This is not in question.

There is no error as such, it simply states "Invalid product key".

I have checked and double checked the 8's and B's, thankfully there's one B and one 8 in this key and you can easily distinguish between the two in this case.

So for whatever reason its not accepting this key. If it did accept the key I would be more than happy to do activation over the phone.

I am not too concerned about the recovery CDs, if I can't do a repair install I'd have to run the recovery. The problem is that I am unable to do either using the genuine product key.

This is very frustrating.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:11 AM
  • HM2K,

Are you saying that you are unable to run the utility?

BTW, as a general rule, manufacturer Recovery CDs will install without inputting the Product Key.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:40 PM
  •  

HI

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM TOO, BUT A LITTLE DIFFERENT.

I REPLACED MY ORIGINAL HDD 40GB WITH A 80GB HDD AND I LOST MY WINDOWS XP HE GENUINE. I STILL GOT THE PRODUCT KEY, BUT NO CD, SO I USE A COPY OF WINDOWS XP.

THEY DIDNT HELP YOU MUCH!!!

HOW DID YOU SOLVE THE MATTER FINALLY?

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:36 AM
  • WINner XP,

Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have recently had to reboot and reformat my pc, i bought it from pc world ages have upgraded it a while ago with new graphics cards etc, now i have the product key on the pc, but the windows installation is professional and the key is for home, i know my pc is legitimate as it came from pc world, I do not have the original home cd, do not remember having a cd with it anyway. I was just wondering is there a way where i can get this validated because i do not feel i should pay out again considering it was valid originally, stupid trojans!

Thanks,
    Thomas Newsome
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:00 AM
  • Hello Thomas,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J7BTM-7J2JX-FD7YW
    Windows Product Key Hash: CQBjmFMx9kAVzTJWYxFlKZTvEBE=
    Windows Product ID: 55677-OEM-2141015-99655
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {A1E9AA67-0D24-46F1-9A3B-0252C7D6668A}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: http=proxy.worldonline.nl:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A1E9AA67-0D24-46F1-9A3B-0252C7D6668A}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-FD7YW</PKey><PID>55677-OEM-2141015-99655</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3990708003-1203752577-514352727</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>SiS</Manufacturer><Model>SiS 650</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Insyde Software</Manufacturer><Version>Version 4.03</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010302000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>MEDIONPC,MEDIONNB</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>C11F3D2F0184A043</HWID><UserLCID>0413</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0413</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Romance (standaardtijd)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Laser Europe.com</name><model>Laser</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110413-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Editie 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73967-640-0000106-57101</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Hello Pntje,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue.  What activation problems are you currently experiencing? Currently I don't see any activation problems for Windows XP based on your Diagnostic results. 

We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.   I have extracted a portion of your diagnostic results to review with you:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Unfortunately, the product key used to install Office Suite is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Hello Pntje,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:01 AM
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:57 PM