none
Still missing the "Subscribed Icon" on threads in other forums RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Meinolf,

you have to configure an email address to get alerts working. Alert without an address to alert makes no sense.

Thorsten Dörfler
    Microsoft MVP Visual Basic
    vb-faq.de
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:13 AM
  • About a year ago the alerts system changes, requiring an email. Prior to this the forums used 'live alerts' provided by MSN. This service was deprecated so we had to start requiring email addresses from users. You don't see the 'Alert me' option on reply because we don't show this option if you don't have an email address set and confirmed, which you do not (per the screen shot above). The subscribe icons show up regardless of whether you have an email address as we do not show/hide those based on your email but instead whether you set alerts previous to the MSN changes last year. 

As soon as you re enter an email address and click the link in the confirmation email that is sent, you should be able to again receive alerts. Hope this helps.

Community Forums Program Manager
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:18 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Same here. Hoped this was fixed by the latest update to the forums. Would be more useful, then another stage of achievement medals.
    Thorsten Dörfler
    vb-faq.de
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Sorry, the 7th changed to the 14th. Already fixed, just waiting to push it live.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:40 AM
    Answerer
  • I believe, the issue is resolved now.
    Forums Program Manager
    Monday, July 18, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Yes, it seems to be resolved.
    Thorsten Dörfler
    vb-faq.de
    Monday, July 18, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hello,

i can see now difference on all threads where i reply, still no icon available.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Meinolf, can you screen capture your My Settings page and put it on skydrive so I can see what it looks like?
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 6:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Meinolf, can you screen capture your My Settings page and put it on skydrive so I can see what it looks like?

Hi Brent,

here is the link: https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=009d8c87dbea5514&sc=photos&uc=1&id=9D8C87DBEA5514%21209!cid=009D8C87DBEA5514&id=9D8C87DBEA5514%21239&sc=photos

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi Meinolf,

you have to configure an email address to get alerts working. Alert without an address to alert makes no sense.

Thorsten Dörfler
    vb-faq.de
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Hi Meinolf,

Thorsten Dörfler
    vb-faq.de

Hi Thorsten,

since the beginning of the forums i have never used an email address for alerting and still the subscribed icon was shown. It is even shown for this thread but not for anyone i reply to.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=009D8C87DBEA5514&id=9D8C87DBEA5514%21239&sc=photos#!/?cid=009d8c87dbea5514&sc=photos&uc=1&id=9D8C87DBEA5514%21209!cid=009D8C87DBEA5514&id=9D8C87DBEA5514%21240&sc=photos

Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:24 PM
  • About a year ago the alerts system changes, requiring an email. Prior to this the forums used 'live alerts' provided by MSN. This service was deprecated so we had to start requiring email addresses from users. You don't see the 'Alert me' option on reply because we don't show this option if you don't have an email address set and confirmed, which you do not (per the screen shot above). The subscribe icons show up regardless of whether you have an email address as we do not show/hide those based on your email but instead whether you set alerts previous to the MSN changes last year. 

As soon as you re enter an email address and click the link in the confirmation email that is sent, you should be able to again receive alerts. Hope this helps.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:18 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Brent,

to understand you correct, if i configure the alerts with email address and confirm it, the subscribed icon will be shown again, regardless if i remove the address later on, because i wouldn't get my mailbox flooded with alerts for each thread i reply to?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Mostly, yes. But realize the icon just explains whether you have subscribed to a thread...or not, it does not necessarily mean you are going to get an alert, you only can get emails for those subscribed threads if you have set and confirmed your email. I guess in a sense, if you don't set your email address and confirm it, 'Alert Me' on the thread (not on the Reply action) is more of a filter/favorite thread sort of bit.
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

after registering the icon is back. If i now unsubscribe will it stay?

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Hello,

after registering the icon is back. If i now unsubscribe will it stay?

If you remove your email (or if the system removes it, as is sometimes the case), then it should go away again. If you unsubscribe to a post, then you shouldn't see the alert icon on that post.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:43 AM
    Owner