A Question to anyone at Microsoft who moderates this Forum RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficult understanding why my stie is not being indexed?  When I started my site hdhes.com, Live.com had every page in my small xhtml site indexed.  I wished to include database content on my site,  so I switched the site to an ASP.NET Ajax format, and greatly improved the markup.  Since launching the new site in October 2007, and continuing to improve the markup to get to a point were all of my pages have less validation errors, a strange thing has been happening.  I have watched the number of pages indexed by Live.com srink; now only my home page is indexed.  The strange thing is, Google, Yahoo and ASK have all dramatically increased the number of pages in my site that they have indexed.

So my question is what gives here?  The guideliness that these search engines recommend do not differ from what Live.com recommends, so why have my efforts had the oposite results with your search engine?  Are the other search engines more capable of crawling sites designed with technology being promoted by another arm of Microsoft?  Or is it as alot of the posts on your foums suggest, that Live.com is now a "broken" search engine?

Unfortunately for me, I decided to use Live.com's site search tool as the search on my website when I moved to ASP.NET.  So visitors using the site search on my site get no results for my site on any keyword that doesn't appear on the one indexed page.  Hopefully you can understanding my frustration with this turn of events! 

So I would just like a straight answer to some straight forward questions!  Please don't just direct me to your site design guideliness, that would just be adding insult to injury.  I did contact your people in Ocotber when I began to see pages disapearing from the index; I was advised that you had made a change to your search algorithm and this is what was causing pages to be mistakenly dropped from the index.  I was asured that the problem would be rectified within a couple of days (I thing we are well pass a couple of days!)  I have a hard time understanding how a change to Microsoft technology and improving the markup, causes pages to be removed from the index!

Regards

P.S.

Just an additional note!  Currently the only validation issue I have on my home page is the code for the Live search box!  You may want to give some consideration to producing code that validates!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, but I honestly don't have a good answer for you other than tell you that we are constantly working to improve our algorythm, which I am sure is not what you want to hear.

Brett
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• "So I would just like a straight answer to some straight forward questions! "

Sorry but you won't get any, they don't have any to give. Just same old tired response.

"Just an additional note!  Currently the only validation issue I have on my home page is the code for the Live search box!  You may want to give some consideration to producing code that validates!"

At least your post gave me a good laugh. Good luck with your MSN live problems.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 2:45 AM
  • Will the moderator(s) of the forum please respond to this post!

Monday, April 14, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Code Snippet
    A Question to anyone at Microsoft who moderates this Forum

The Moderator here at Webmater Forums is http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/User/Profile.aspx?UserID=1130633&SiteID=79

Code Snippet
    Are the other search engines more capable of crawling sites designed with technology being promoted by another arm of Microsoft?  Or is it as alot of the posts on your foums suggest, that Live.com is now a "broken" search engine?

Microsoft is still having major algorithm issues. My only suggestion would be to ping the hell out of the MSNbot, and have patience.  It could take a month or so for the bot to catch up with you:

MSNbot Ping:  http://webmaster.live.com/ping.aspx?siteMap=http://www.YourDomain.com/sitemap.xml

Code Snippet
    Just an additional note!  Currently the only validation issue I have on my home page is the code for the Live search box!  You may want to give some consideration to producing code that validates!

ha ha ha -- Microsoft producing code that validates! Funny one here!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the long delay, but I honestly don't have a good answer for you other than tell you that we are constantly working to improve our algorythm, which I am sure is not what you want to hear.

Brett
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:10 PM