OneCare backup problem ( just started today ) RRS feed

• Question

•  

OneCare, for some strange reason, now cannot find my backup drive. I have check the configuration, which is fine, and even renamed the old "Windows OneCare Backup" driectory to another name. I reconfigured the backup software and the code generated a new directory; however, it STILL gives me the same error message that it cannot find the backup drive. Needless to say, the drive is there and works just fine. Was a new update installed? If so, that may be the reason for the failure.

Sandy

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers

• It's possible that there is a problem with the internal settings for backup or that the backup drive letter may have changed, though I think the former is more likely.

Try the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

A more extreme approach would be to try the database reset tool - 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

And even more extreme - a reinstall of OneCare.

You can also contact support for help, if you wish.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:28 PM

All replies

• It's possible that there is a problem with the internal settings for backup or that the backup drive letter may have changed, though I think the former is more likely.

Try the following:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

A more extreme approach would be to try the database reset tool - 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

And even more extreme - a reinstall of OneCare.

You can also contact support for help, if you wish.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I am also having back up problems

On another thread I reported OneCare probs after instaling Adobe Reader 9, now uninstalled

Since then I found several OneCare settings had reverted to factory settings.

But this problem is worse

When I configure my backup the last stage 'Click Next and save the revised plan.' I get a message saying htere is an error and onecare will shut down

It does not shut down but it does not save the settings either

Atevery stage in the process my floopy drive is interogated.

I have used the reset tool which has not fixed it.

Is there anything I can do other than uninstall reinstall

If I do hte latter would it be wise to get acrobat reader 9 before reinstalling?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:06 AM
  • Hi, Ray.

If I were in your shoes, I'd reinstall to see if the problem is resolved with the "hammer" approach. However, it seems like your Adobe problem may have spawned some additional problems as the backup settings in OneCare should not have reset and it certainly shouldn't crash when trying to save the settings - which involves OneCare contacting the server to log in and update the plan settings.

It may be worth opening a support case if the reinstall doesn't fix it or if you want to try and avoid a reinstall.

-steve

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Thanks Steve

I uninstalled, installed Acrobat Reader 9, reinstalled OneCare.

Problem remained!

So I put in a request for support

Meanwhile I did a routine Registry Booster scan. It fixed OneCare!

I have now done a full backup and everyhting seems OK

I use Registry Booster periodically in hte hope it keeps my machine speedy, but this is the first time I have caught it fixing a fault.

A case for OneCare having a registry checker?

It will be interesting to see what support comes back with.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Glad to read that it was resolved, Ray.

-steve

Friday, September 12, 2008 4:34 PM