Sil680 Ultra IDE/ATA 133 raid pci controller card... RRS feed

• General discussion

• I run on an older hardware with ata 133 hard drives..  My motherboard only has 2 channels, enough for four hard drives..  I had a few dinky drives around, but now have 5 hard drives and a dvd-rom.  My original setup was 3 drives, dvd rom..  then remove dvd rom and add fourth drive (after install).  Well four drives fill up all my IDE channels so I went looking for a pci controller card.  Found a cheap card for under 20 bucks, it's based in the Sil 680 chipset.  I'll be happy to report that I installed the card, set the jumper to IDE JBOD mode, had WHS check online for newest drivers, and the card works without a hitch.

So I just wanted to let people know that sil 680 chipset controllers work well if you want to put to use Pata drives or need more room for drives, etc..
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:09 AM

All replies

•  

y have succesfly install WHS On Sil680 in Raid 0 better whit 2 disk: master only but run correctly whit 4 too

Drive as 4 Identil IBM 80GB ATA7 133

Bye

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Can you boot from a DVD drive connected to this controller?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:02 AM
  • I have not tried this but I don't see why not.  You get the Sil680 bios message right after the computer bios.  You can hit F(something) at this point to setup a raid if needed.  So I'm just assuming you could as it seems the card is ready to go before it tries to boot. 

I can give it a shot later if needed, I'm in the process of rebuilding my WHS on different hardware so I could just try it out.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:38 PM
  •  Enchanter wrote:
    I can give it a shot later if needed, I'm in the process of rebuilding my WHS on different hardware so I could just try it out.

If you wouldn't mind, although the card would not be a big investment, I'd like to know.  I could not get this mother board to boot from a usb jump drive though, so if it works for you it might not for me.  My WHS computer was built from scrap.  Thanks. 

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I'll be trying it on my own soon, I just ordered one.  Did you upgrade the onboard BIOS?  The manufacturer of the chip, Silicon Image, put out an update 2/28/08.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:59 PM