Final Chord (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• sstrauch1955 posted on 03-29-2010 4:31 PM

I am a musician and I'm using Songsmith to make recordings of songs I have already written. The only problem I am having is the final chord. Regardless of whether or not I use the "ending bars", the end doesn't sound right. With those songs that don't fade away, without the "ending bars" it ends abruptly and with them, it goes on too long. How do I end my songs with a final chord?

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:20 PM

Answers

• dmorris replied on 03-30-2010 4:07 PM

Take a look at the "advanced rhythm notation" blurb on the "tips and tricks" section of our Web page:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/songsmith/howto.html#tipsandtricks

I think what you want is the "..." notation.  Click on the last chord in your song and type "..." (without quotes), so for example if the chord is "D", you'll be changing it to "D...".

This will create a "hanging stop" on the last chord.

Note that if you move the "happy" or "jazzy" sliders around, this change will get blown away, so you probably want to either do this after you've settled on your chords, or use the "lock" feature (right-click on a chord and choose "lock") to make sure your change doesn't get un-done when you move the sliders around.

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:21 PM