WHS through ethernet over power RRS feed

• Question

• Hello members
    I just bought a couple of ethernet over power adaptors and hope that it will work?
    Has anyone had experience with connecting WHS to the network with this system?
    Those couple of adaptors were on special- so in this case bought first and ask later, which is not a good practice.
    I hope it does work?
    Thanks
    NT
    • Edited by notechyet Monday, November 10, 2008 9:02 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,
    as long as the server itself is not connected using this method (since the spec for WHS says that a minimum of 100 MBit/sec is required), but directly to the router, there should be no more problems than you have otherwise (which depend from the quality of power line and the adaptors themself).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:39 AM
  • Olaf
    Thanks
    So,I'll have to wait and see what the result of the installation is. The connection is not intended to be directly from the WHS to the gateway.
    I will post back the result.
    Regards from NZ
    NT
    • Marked as answer by notechyet Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:21 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by notechyet Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:21 AM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:39 PM
  • I guess my first question is:  why?  POE "Power Over Ethernet" is intended to power a device without external power requirements.  For example; powering a Cisco vOIP phone.  What was the reason you purchased a POE adapter in the first place?
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:37 AM
  • Peavey
    Yes, you right, it is the other way round and I bought this set:NP285 Turbo HomePlug 2 Pack Ethernet Over Power.
    Hoping it will work satisfactory.
    Here is the answer:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/da823f1b-14f9-46bd-9da1-3bcda52aa8f7

• Marked as answer by notechyet Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:21 AM
    • Edited by notechyet Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:21 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Just an update.
    The whs connection through Ethernet over power works flawlessly!
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:28 AM