• Question

• Version: WHS CTP

Hardware:

Motherboard/CPU: Aopen i855 motherboard w/Pentium-M 1.4GHz

RAM: 2GB PC3200

Optical: NEC DVD-RW IDE Primary Slave

HD1: Seagate 500GB IDE Primary Master

SATA controller: Promise TX4302 SATAII PCI

HD2: 500GB Western Digital SATA RE2 - SATA channel 3 (internal)

HD3: 500GB Western Digital SATA RE2 - SATA channel 4 (internal)

OK, here's the problem.  I just did a clean WHS install to the IDE Seagate drive.  Installed without any problems.  Installed the Promise SATA controller without any problems.  I removed the 2 Western Digital SATA drives from my old server; they were in RAID1 so I wiped 1 and installed it in WHS, then added it to the pool in the server storage panel.  Was able to do that without any problem.  I installed the other Western Digital drive in an external SATA enclosure, plugged it into the external SATA port, the old drive letters showed up, and I was able to copy my old data over to the shared folders on the server.  Great.

Next up was to install the hard drive internally and add it to the WHS storage pool.  So, I removed the drive from the external case, installed it in the case, plugged in power and connected a data cable to the Promise controller, and powered up.  Booted into the OS, logged on.  Opened the WHS console from the server, everything appears fine.  Click on the Server Storage button and it hangs...not for a second, but for 20 minutes.  Can't do anything at all.  Finally, I get some action and the drive that I am trying to add shows up with a status as "not added", and the only right-click option that I have is "remove" (which is odd, since I never added it and it was showing a status of "not added").  More oddly, the total storage size is showing as 1.4TB, which would be correct if all 3 drives were attached.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in adding a new hard drive?

Friday, April 27, 2007 9:52 PM

All replies

• Interesting. I would wipe the drive then reformat the drive into NTSC and then install it. I've seen others have trouble with connecting a HD with data on it, or a unformatted HD.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 6:31 AM
  • Yeah, and I think this is an area where MS really needs to put a lot of time & attention into getting it right.  The hard drive detachment process appeared to be hanging (after 6 hours) so I did a hard reboot.  When the OS loaded, BOTH of the WD drives were detached and the 500GB Seagate was completely full.  This was a concerning find since I had only tried to detach the drive that had originally failed to attach, the second WD drive.  However, both drives were in the "available" pool so I was able to add both without any issues, and now I'm up and running with 1.4TB of available storage.

The lesson that I take away from this is that I'm going to add a big external drive to my storage stable and I'll make it a habit to back up all of that data before the next OS upgrade...just in case.

Apart from that, I love WHS.  Well done, Microsoft.

Pete

Sunday, April 29, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Ah, the joy continues.

Turns out that all of the files in my storage array are now corrupted with the "invalid file handler" message, which is just wonderful.  Apparently, however, reinstalling the OS MIGHT fix things.  So, in preparation for that, I decided that it might be a good idea to uninstall one of the SATA drives and use that as a standard OS drive to back up to.  I open drive manager, select a drive, and chose "remove", upon which time I suppose that the drive is transferred OFF of that drive.

Well, that was 24 hours ago and it is still only about 3/4 of the way finished.  Amazing performance (sarcasm), considering these are very fast 7200RPM SATAII drives attached to a SATA II controller, and it should have taken all of an hour or two (at most) to remove and "rebalance" the data off of the requested drive.

I realize that this is beta software, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Pete

Monday, April 30, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Pete,

Please file a bug on this issue, be sure to run TalQ on both the client and server machines and attach the CAB numbers to your bug report.

Thanks,

C

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 1:11 AM
    Answerer
  • >>   Has anyone else had a similar problem in adding a new hard drive?

Yes, I saw something similar when adding in a brand new 500Gb ATA100

drive.  Booted up WHS, clicked on the 'server storage tab' and it just hung

there.  After 5 minutes I left it, and when I returned 30 minutes later the

drives were displayed as normal.

If this something to do with it formatting the drive in the background before

adding it to the storage pool, then WHS  REALLY needs to display some

kind of progress message while it happens....  (people using WHS 'for real'

are likely to want to put in some pretty big disks - I'm guessing it takes

a while for 1Tb to format !!)

Thanks

Ian 

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 9:09 PM