Cold Reboot - Using RTC Alarm on ACPI Motherboards to Wake From S5 Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been looking for more information on how perform a cold reboot from the S5 shutdown state. Basically, I want to be able to perform a cold reboot on a computer system through automation without relying upon a secondary system. I have been looking online to research this, but all the information relating to .NET that I found was for warm reboots. I researched the topic and found that in addition to Wake On LAN (which requires a secondary system), a PC can be woken from an S5 shutdown state by setting the RTC (Real Time Clock) alarm.

However, I was unable to find any resources in terms of sample code or documentation on how to go about setting and using the RTC alarm. My development environment is Visual Studio 2008, and the application is in C#. After researching the topic I found some information on how this could be performed in Linux, but could not find anything equivalent with .NET. I also tried searching the MSDN forums relating to cold reboots, but did not come up with any results which address my situation.

My main goal is to be able to perform a cold reboot. My question is: Are there any existing functions, libraries, or resources which can be utilized on a single system in order to perform a cold reboot? (with or without using the RTC Alarm)

Thanks.
    • Moved by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:52 AM off topic (Moved from Common Language Runtime to Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:55 AM

Answers

•  

Hello Aeri,

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in the 'MSDN > Forums Home > .NET Development > .NET Base Class Library' located here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/threads/

Have a great day!

Thanks!

SachinW Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by SachinW Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by SachinW Friday, March 20, 2009 7:44 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:12 AM