web server not working for local access RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to access web pages that I have in the wwwroot folder, but the server doesn't seem to want to serve them up. If this is because media is enabled, then how do I shut off media so I can access the web pages? I would rather use the server as a [local] file / web server than for media streaming since I don't have any reason to access anything on the server from a remote location.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• Then you would be probably be better off not using WHS2011 which is not designed to be a web server but more a file and streaming server as well as providing automated client backups. Shutting off media streaming (which is done in the Dashboard, Server Settings, Media) will have no impact. It can be done by configuring IIS outside the Dashboard and consequently unsupported. Personally I would recommend W7 and Apache for what you want to do.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Adding to Phil's comments:

Although this is possible - given proper (re)configuration IIS and/or the WHS remote website on your server - I would not recommend to do so.
    Except from the fact that this would be unsupported; unless you know exactly hat you are doing you risk damaging the servers functionality and/or introducing security issues that would allow others to access you data.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:13 PM
  • And that's why it's so easy to set up a web server in any of the business flavours, right??? because it would create security issues??? Of course, putting all my media on-line wouldn't be setting myself up for any potential 'security issues' would it... Also, you might notice that I did say local... the web server would be for the LAN...that means LOCAL as in PRIVATE - NOT ACCESSIBLE to the PUBLIC...Thanks for your help. If it wasn't for the fact that the cheapest business flavour starts at over five hundred dollars, I'd just go with that...guess I just need to start learning Linux...
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:00 AM
  • And that's why it's so easy to set up a web server in any of the business flavours, right??? because it would create security issues??? ...

Presumably in a business/enterprise environment, the person setting things up will either have sufficient training and personal knowledge to avoid the most obvious faux pas, or will be following a procedure written by such a person.

The main reason it's "difficult" in Windows Home Server is because Microsoft has already set up web sites, configured IIS properly for the intended use of the server, etc. and has taken no care for the possibility that someone will want to use their server in a way that potentially violates the EULA (running public web sites on your server is, I believe, forbidden by the EULA). Since IIS itself doesn't distinguish between public and private web sites (as you're using the term private, and I agree that it's certainly not a public use as described) it becomes more difficult overall, because in addition to setting up additional web pages/sites, you have to make sure you don't break anything that's already there.

The best advice we can give is generally that if you're a technically sophisticated user, there's quite a lot you can do with Windows Home Server that's beyond the boundaries that Microsoft has set with the wizards and GUI for the server. There will be a learning curve involved, and you will be taking risks with your server that we will advise against (because a technically unsophisticated user will come here, see that "A did this", decide that "I can do it too" and proceed to hose up his server through lack of knowledge and skill). It's really up to you to figure out how to do the things you want to with your server, though, if they aren't already there "out of the box".

Like everything else Microsoft delivers, Windows Home Server 2011, in it's base form as a system builder package that you might install yourself, is a toolkit, not a solution. As delivered by an OEM, with OEM add-ons, it may be more than that. Or the OEM add-ons may be complete crap. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:09 PM
  • And I do understand that the IIS can't distinguish between public and private, but considering that a) my ISP [supposedly] doesn't allow a public site to exist on their system unless you have a 'business' setup and b) the server is already set up as a secured, requiring a password and all that... it would be somewhat a pain to get it to act as a public server. Besides that, anybody who gives away a password to their server to allow public access deserves to get hosed.

I also understand that most of what I install from microsoft is more or less a 'toolkit', but I didn't think the features I'm looking for would be quite so deeply buried... Luckily, I'm not a noob, and I like to consider myself as resourceful, so I may get to have my web server yet...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Honestly, I would implement a completely new site, on ports other than 80 and 443. This will probably be easier and faster than trying to work around the pre-existing Remote Access application, connector install application, etc. Once you're into IIS Manager, it's just like IIS on Windows Server 2008 R2.

And like I sort of said, Microsoft doesn't, as far as I can tell, care deeply about making what you want to do easy. The Windows Home Server team loves to see a cool application for their product, yes (so they always tell me, anyway :) ), but business needs drive features, and resource constraints limit flexibility unless it's really easier (easier = less man hours of coding, testing, and debugging, and easy to describe configuration) to implement the feature in a flexible fashion.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:38 PM
  • That would probably make it a lot easier than trying to work around and/or disable the media server...with my luck doing something like that would probably break the os and I'd end up having to start all over again...
    Friday, September 30, 2011 5:31 AM