Sharing records with manager automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a way in Dynamics CRM 2011 that managers from a given user can always access records? For instance:

Joe is a sales rep in London. David is Joe's manager. I want David to be able to see every account that Joe created.

In Dynamics 4, there is a special Codeplex add-in that we can use that will the sharing of records in work-flows. So what I did is to set-up a work-flow that when a record is created, it will automatically share that account with the user's manager.

I remember being told however, that with Dynamics CRM 2011 this process would be easier. Is there in fact an easier (perhaps out-of-the-box) way to have this functionality?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
    P. 

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I resolved it by rethinking the way I work with Business Units, and now also with the use of teams that cross Business Units with Dynamics CRM 2011.

Cheers,

P.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:24 PM

All replies

• Why not just give the managers permissions to access all the accounts via a security role? If you don't want a manager to see records belonging to other managers' reports, you could use business units to separate them.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Use business units. Put David in Parent Business unit and Joe and other sales reps in child business unit. Give Sales rep role access to their Business unit level which is half circle. Give David access to Business unit and child business unit level. Please check the example of Sharing Records in this link http://www.megasolutions.net/MS_Dynamics_CRM_3_0/Security_Roles_And_Business_Units.aspx
    Regards Faisal
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:17 PM
  • No way I can use business units, I'm afraid :(

Business units tend to limit Dynamics CRM in matters of hierarchy. Here is why:

• I have a user called JOE, who is based in the USA;
    • Joe's current manager is DAVID, who is based in the UK;
    • I want DAVID to be able to see all of JOE's records created automatically, but NOT anyone else's accounts in this fashion;
    • If I create a Business Unit for USA and another for the UK, DAVID would be able to be JOE's manager (because they are of different Business Units);
    • If I put DAVID at a parent Business Unit called CONTOSO (the USA's parent Business Unit, the top of the organisation), it will make DAVID be able to see not only DAVID's accounts, but also the accounts of other user that is in the USA Business Unit, and what is worse: for anyone else that is at a completely different child business unit that is also a child of CONTOSO (say, BRAZIL, CHINA, INDIA...) 

Not sure if Dynamics CRM 2011 changes the rules of the game, but in CRM 4 the example above was a major issue for us...

Even at simpler examples I can see how Business Units, IMO, wouldn't be appropriate:

If I have a user who is the manager of a team, I would like this manager to be able to see all the accounts of this team, business units aren't the best for this. Say I have two sales teams in the south of USA: Team A and Team B. I want the manager of Team A to see all accounts assigned to members of Team A, and the manager of Team B to see all accounts assigned to members of Team B.

Is Business Units the best solution for this scenario? Sounds like an overkill to me...

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

i have exact situation. Are you able to resolve it.

let me know.

Thanks.

Puneet Joshi
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

I resolved it by rethinking the way I work with Business Units, and now also with the use of teams that cross Business Units with Dynamics CRM 2011.

Cheers,

P.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:24 PM