Outlook 2003 help RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure where to post to ask this question.  ADSL earthlink service rep has told me that not receiving emails is a Live Onecare issue. Both have been wokring fine for several year now until two days ago.
    Can anyone guide me?
    Thanks. Jim
    Friday, February 29, 2008 12:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• I think that the Earthlink rep is incorrect. To verify, open OneCare and temporarily disable the firewall. If you mail still doesn't work, it isn't OneCare.

-steve

Saturday, March 1, 2008 2:15 AM
  • I disabeld the Friewall and Outlook still did not work. It only works the first time I open it after shutting down computer and new start up. Afte rthat, when i cloes Outlook, then opne it again, Outlook gives me error messages.
    Any ideas--anyone? Thanks.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 12:12 PM
  • Since you've confirmed that it isn't a OneCare issue by disabling the firewall, and since Outlook works until your shut it down and restart it, I believe it is an Outlook issue and you should seek help in the public newsgroup for Outlook - http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&cat=en_US_db03bd1f-73aa-41e1-abfd-27a6e3c352e5&lang=en&cr=US

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:38 AM
  •  

I have a problem receiving mail in outlook 2003.  If I remove one care it will receive email.  I can't install programs with one care installed.  It tells me I don't have permission and I'm logged in as administrator.  So it is one care. 

I have a lot of "live' programs on my computer and I can't uninstall them.  How can I get rid of every thing that has anything to do with "live"?  If you tell me to clean off the hard drive I will go buy apple computers and get away from this *** forever.

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:36 AM
  •  jcapps wrote:

I have a problem receiving mail in outlook 2003.  If I remove one care it will receive email.  I can't install programs with one care installed.  It tells me I don't have permission and I'm logged in as administrator.  So it is one care. 

I have a lot of "live' programs on my computer and I can't uninstall them.  How can I get rid of every thing that has anything to do with "live"?  If you tell me to clean off the hard drive I will go buy apple computers and get away from this *** forever.

OneCare does not block email.

OneCare does not prevent the installation of programs except when that program is being installed via a downloaded installer and that installer is unsigned and unrecognized, however, you will then be prompted if you wish to allow the program. An error regarding permissions sounds more like Vista's User Account Control, UAC. You may need to right click the installer and select Run as Administrator in order for the program to run/install using elevated admin privileges.

All of the Windows Live programs, including Windows Live OneCare should be able to be removed via Control Panel, Prorgams and Features (Vista) or Add or Remove programs (XP). I can't tell you why you might be unable to do so.

I can tell you that being able to receive email via Outlook only when OneCare is removed tells me that there is a conflict with another program on your drive, perhaps other security software that is still at least partially active if uninstalled previously, or still fully installed now.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:38 PM
  • I did have a problem when I had no installer and had to download one from microsoft.  UAC is turned off.  When I try to remove some of the live programs it asks me for a cd and these were downloaded and installed so can't comply.  I've tried run as administrator and it doesn't work either.  No other security software is installed.  I am able to receive email in outlook today after rebooting but it usually fails at some point.  so far so good.  What should I do to have an installer that will work?  I don't know what happened to the original one.  It really is frustrating when the computer keeps telling me I can't access my own files in my own computer when logged in as administrator and provides no way to enter the info needed to qualify to access them.

Thank you for replying.

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Try the Windows installer cleanup tool to deal with the broken installer references:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Or you can download the installer again for the Windows Live Programs - http://get.live.com and run it. I believe it will offer repair of remove as an option.

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:28 PM