Internet sharing and managing things RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would like see in WHS tools for internet connection sharing (by MAC, for example), traffic manager for users, quotas for number of downloaded files(movies or mp3) ...
    Monday, March 12, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

• ICS for the server would be fine.

a wiz for applying ics settings made on a XP machine should be programmed.

why?

my client has no important or private data. they are all on my normal server and he is only connected to inet when new win updates are available. so, a ics wiz for the WHS can be a good idea for the people who use same settings like me, but have no knowledge about the settings for ics.

sorry for that bad english

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:15 PM
  • I don't see Internet Connection Sharing (or routing, or ISA, or DHCP, or any other network-edge features) for WHS. The target market is homes with multiple PCs and an always-on broadband connection. Implicit in that is a broadband router, which already offers most of these features. In particular, ICS is not an "always-on" technology. It's only on when the PC sharing it's internet connection is on.

And (thinking about likely scenarios post-launch) I personally would not want to put my WHS, with all my family's important (and perhaps sensitive) data on the edge of my home network.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:30 PM
  • I agree that the WHS box shouldn't be your firewall, but it could be the default gateway for your PCs, with its default gateway being your router.  I'd also like to see the ability to monitor/limit internet access/usage centrally, rather than just pointing all my PCs to my router.

RoryD.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:34 PM
  •  Rory Donnelly wrote:

... I'd also like to see the ability to monitor/limit internet access/usage centrally, rather than just pointing all my PCs to my router.

RoryD.

A lot of routers already offer this functionality, especially if you start moving into 3rd party firmware.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:37 PM
  • True, and I could do that with the router I currently have, but I don't think homebrew router firmware would be high on the list of the WHS target audience.

RoryD

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:00 PM
  •  Rory Donnelly wrote:

True, and I could do that with the router I currently have, but I don't think homebrew router firmware would be high on the list of the WHS target audience.

RoryD

And neither is configuring a gateway for a gateway, as you suggested above. I was merely showing that what you are suggesting is already possible for most people, granted the likely home scenario that WHS will be placed in.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:05 PM