none
Putting a hard drive with data already on it into a WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Can I add drive with data already on it into my WHS PC?

It has around 270Gb worth of videos, photos and music on, and I dont want to hog my network for 3 days transferring it over from another PC!

Reading the WHS help it says that all new drives will be formatted, this cant be right? Thats rubbish!

Thanks

Andy

Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:22 AM

Answers

• I will note that Advanced Admin Console is unsupported for exactly the same reason that Remote Desktop is unsupported: it's designed to give the end user access to Windows features that Microsoft doesn't intend you to have access to, like Control Panel, Windows Explorer, etc. Being an add-in doesn't somehow protect you from the consequences of an ill-advised action. And again, per the product's design you don't need anything AAC gives you.

I would say copy the data over the network if you want to use Windows Home Server as designed (it's a one time thing, after all; presumably you won't be copying it to the server every week). Or if that's likely to take too long, just use Remote Desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The supported approach is to connect the drive to a client PC and copy the data over the network.   However, if you want you can install the drive as a backup drive and select 'No, preserve the exisiting files on this hard drive' - if you don't get that option then your drive is not formatted for use with Windows Home Server.

Then using Advanced Admin Console (better) or a remote desktop connection (not supported) copy the data you want from E:\  to \\localhost\shares\Music etc
    BTW 270GB on a Healthy 100 Mbps wired network should only take 5 hours.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Thanks Al, thats a great help.

Sure 100MBs pure transfer rate with no errors, but remember you have to read and write that data as well which slows it down considerable to about 50MBs-60 in my experience, though to be fair it varies depending on the drives. Ok, maybe 3 days was an exaggeration!!

I'll give this "Advanced Admin Console" a go.

Cheers!
    Andy

Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:20 AM
  • I will note that Advanced Admin Console is unsupported for exactly the same reason that Remote Desktop is unsupported: it's designed to give the end user access to Windows features that Microsoft doesn't intend you to have access to, like Control Panel, Windows Explorer, etc. Being an add-in doesn't somehow protect you from the consequences of an ill-advised action. And again, per the product's design you don't need anything AAC gives you.

I would say copy the data over the network if you want to use Windows Home Server as designed (it's a one time thing, after all; presumably you won't be copying it to the server every week). Or if that's likely to take too long, just use Remote Desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Ken is absolutely right - I might have given the impression that Advanced Admin Console will protect you from doing anything untoward to your Windows Home Server - you should take care with it.
    --
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:35 AM