none
Forum Search Problems RRS feed

• Question

• The Search option does not seem to work in the Forums. When I enter the search phrase in the input box at the top left of the forum page, I always receive the same error message:regardless of the phrase, before being redirected to the Bing search engine:

• Sorry, no results found for:active directory meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292) site:microsoft.com
    • Redirecting in 2seconds to web results using Bing (if scripting is enabled)

Very frustrating. What am I doing wrong?

Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Known issue in our search app I think. You say you get redirected right? and that place you are taken to has results.  So are you frustrated about the initial page and then the redirection, or that you get redirected to actual results that maybe are not what you want?

Community Forums Program Manager

Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:23 PM
    Answerer
  • The Search option does not seem to work in the Forums.

• Sorry, no results found for:active directory meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292) site:microsoft.com

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe nothing.   Where is this starting from?   E.g. are you in a  Partner  forum?

FWIW that search without the active directory part yields one hit for me:  this thread.   So it works.   But not the way you might want.   ;  )

---

Edit:   One thread but not this thread and in this forum?   So it should be two soon.   Still need to know which forum both threads were trying to access to help further.

Edit:   Now I understand what is happening.   You are trying to search this forum using its forumid.   You can't do that with BING.   You can do it with Google but you need to use a different syntax:

active directory  site:microsoft.com/forums/en/reportabug

That's a syntax that BING should accept but it doesn't give any hits.

A better syntax is one that only Google accepts (Live Search used to but it was removed "temporarily" years ago)

active directory  site:microsoft.com  inurl:reportabug

Assuming this is really the forum that you want to search.   Otherwise modify your search accordingly.

---

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Known issue in our search app I think. You say you get redirected right? and that place you are taken to has results.  So are you frustrated about the initial page and then the redirection, or that you get redirected to actual results that maybe are not what you want?

Community Forums Program Manager

No, it's worse this week ... you get a hit list that includes results from all of the Microsoft domain -- it is absolutely useless.   I'm trying to see if anyone else has posted a query about a topic in a specific forum and what do I get?   A results list of 612,00 hits. If I filter it by "Communities", I get 50,000 hits and there is nothing at all relevant in the first page because it includes hits from every "community" on Microsoft's site.   

The old forum search may not have been slick enough for those who think search is the primary activity for users but at least it accomplished the objective: to actually direct the user to relevant content.   What is going on now is absolutely unacceptable.  I want to see results from the forum I searched PERIOD.    I'm not impressed to see what BING has found elsewhere, I want a plain search (without an unintelligible concatenated search string posted at the top), that will FIND what I've asked for in the forum I asked to search.   And I that's all I want -- no trying to impress me with irrelevant hits from other places on Microsoft's site.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I totally agree. Microsoft seems to have problems with the seemingly simple things! The Bing results are totally useless. Forum users are forced to ask questions that have already been answered many times because they cannot find the answers.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Please answer Brent's question: So are you frustrated about the initial page and then the redirection, or that you get redirected to actual results that maybe are not what you want?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:42 PM
    Owner
  • Let's recreate a scenario. Go to a specific forum page and enter a specific search. Then link to the forum page and the search results and let us know exactly what links on the search results page don't respond. This will help us repro (we currently can't repro this). I just had a perfect search results experience, so I need to know more about your scenario.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, April 13, 2012 4:44 PM
    Owner
  • Let's recreate a scenario.

I did some experimenting with this the other day and discovered that it's Boolean searching that causes the thing to go completely off the rails.   See this example

In answer to Brent's question: even when it does work, I think the results page is rather confusing.   There's nothing on that page that tells me what I'm looking at -- it's all about Microsoft and Bing.   It's confusing to see "All Microsoft" when it's really just the forum I wanted; you may be able to tell how I got there from that concatenated search string but it's gibberish to the user.  

I want to see something that clearly indicates that I used [this search string] in [this forum] and have the ability to use the same filter/sorting options I have in the  forum.  I also want to be able to add/change the search terms on the results page without having to risk overwriting the extra stuff you need to make it work.  In other words,  I want a forum experience, not a generic search experience that happens to return results from the forum.  When I ask myself about the  the difference between what I'm getting here and just starting from Google,  my immediate answer is that I can use Boolean searching on Google and find relevant content more quickly.

• Edited by Athena.. _ Friday, April 13, 2012 6:17 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:04 PM
  • we currently can't repro this

Then perhaps there is an account issue?   E.g. you should try using a normal user's account?   The problem being demonstrated is that there is very little search capability in this forum (for us normal users, e.g. non moderators).   Then, when BING gets the search (instead of Microsoft search) the  meta:  search term is ignored.

Perhaps a better question would be what do you see when you search this forum for  active directory?   There:  now it has been added again.   Maybe this will make it show?

http://search.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?q=active%20directory%20meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292)%20site:microsoft.com

(14 hits)

Now fixed?

However, could you please explain why this supposedly equivalent search on TechNet yields 216 hits?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=active%20directory&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292)+site:microsoft.com&rn=Forums+Issues+(not+product+support)+Forum

Oh.   It looks like the TechNet search index indexes spam posts which presumably have been deleted?  Then the Microsoft search would be best, provided there are really only 14 threads with the terms active and directory somewhere in them.

BTW when is this forum editor going to be fixed?    ; \

---

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I did some experimenting with this the other day and discovered that it's Boolean searching that causes the thing to go completely off the rails.   See this example

That can be fixed with some parentheses:

http://search.microsoft.com/en-US/results.aspx?q=%28duplicate+OR+mirror%29+meta%3ASearch.MSForums.ForumID%28080381eb-7a5d-43d6-b920-af6d91470959%29+site%3Amicrosoft.com

(58 hits)

BTW that would be expected IMO.  OR always has less precedence than AND and the spaces imply AND.

However, what I did find surprising is that I could not reduce my other search results in any way by trying to exclude the term shoes.   But that only mattered on the  TechNet  forums which seem to be behind development compared with the others.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=active%20directory%20-shoes&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292)+site:microsoft.com&rn=Forums+Issues+(not+product+support)+Forum&ac=3

(223 hits instead of the original 216?   I was expecting to see far fewer, not more.)

---

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:35 PM
  • However, could you please explain why this supposedly equivalent search on TechNet yields 216 hits?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=active%20directory&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292)+site:microsoft.com&rn=Forums+Issues+(not+product+support)+Forum

Oh.   It looks like the TechNet search index indexes spam posts which presumably have been deleted?  Then the Microsoft search would be best, provided there are really only 14 threads with the terms active and directory somewhere in them.

Yeah you nailed it. Notice the extra + and & symbols in the URL. You're searching on additional goodness in the second scenario, which gives you more results.

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • BTW that would be expected IMO.  OR always has less precedence than AND and the spaces imply AND. .

I beg to differ. There is no implied AND there at all.  You have explained why it happens but that would only be "expected" by those who come to the process thinking that forum search is a subset of something else.  I constructed the search the same way I would in Windows (which automatically sets its scope to the current directory/library).  If the concatenation requires extra punctuation, that should be inserted when the string is constructed.

FWIW,  I tried using a comma instead of OR (which works fine with Google), and got nothing from the new search then 2 hits when redirected to BING.  

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:52 PM
  • I'm finding this thread somewhat odd. Why the insistance on using Bing??? Some Microsoft dictate? Athena clearly expresses my frustration - I simply don't want to be in Bing. I want to stay in the confines of the forum with the nice clear easily read results, showing the replys and views, the dates and having easy sort and re-filtering. Results wise, somemtimes they are presented in a Bing format that says "Results by Bing" with the search criteria in the search box, and other times it's simply the Bing Web page. But it's not consistant or absolutely reproducable.
    Friday, April 13, 2012 10:10 PM
  • I'm sorry but this is not answer -- it is an explanation with a workaround and I don't think it's appropriate for the MVP and MS employee can decide that it's an answer. 
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:13 PM
  • I'm sorry but this is not answer -- it is an explanation with a workaround and I don't think it's appropriate for the MVP and MS employee can decide that it's an answer. 

Well I think the conversation showed that one syntax was being used when another syntax was required. Right?

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:53 PM
    Owner
  • No, it did not...it showed that you and Robert are working in a different universe.  The fact that you understand what went wrong doesn't tell us why normal users can't find anything in these forums.

FWIW, I'm still unable to find anything at all in these forums.  

If I go to the WHS software forum and use Win7, I get nothing at all.

I couldn't even find this thread using "search" as my keyword in this forum.

If you think this is

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:01 PM
  • FWIW, I'm still unable to find anything at all in these forums.  

@ Athena

Please cite some URLs so we know where you are starting from.

I couldn't even find this thread using "search" as my keyword in this forum.

Try something more specific

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=intitle%3Asearch%20intitle%3Aproblems&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(ee8d83ad-ac35-4b2f-bc9a-002933131292)+site:microsoft.com&rn=Forums+Issues+(not+product+support)+Forum&ac=8

---

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:28 AM
  • Why should I have to use something more specific?  I'm in a "forum issues" forum and I want to see if anyone else has problems with search today.  Why can't I just type a keyword in the "Search Forums Issues (not product support) Forum" box and get something useful?   Why should I have to type anything else just to see if it's a problem for anyone else?

I was in the WHS forum this morning and used Win7 and got nothing.  I can understand a suggestion to be more specific to narrow a search but surely we should get some kind of hits (It's sort of working now but it definitely was not this morning).  

And how exactly are results ordered?   I don't see anything but 2 year old posts when I search in the WHS for Win7.   Why don't the I see the most recent posts appear first?  When someone has a problem, he doesn't want to see 2-5 year old posts first, he wants to see what is going on now.  These forums are supposed to help users get the answers they need as quickly as possible; they are not supposed to be SQL exercises.

• Proposed as answer by Rajesh982 Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rajesh982 Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:26 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:39 AM
  • I was in the WHS forum this morning and used Win7 and got nothing.

Again, please post a URL so we know where you are searching from.

And how exactly are results ordered?

That's a different issue.   Evidently results are ordered by some kind of relevance criteria, never by date.   Date criteria and ordering have long been requested, in fact in the old KB search used to be available.

---

Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Again, please post a URL so we know where you are searching from

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/threads?page=1

or

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

Evidently results are ordered by some kind of relevance criteria, never by date.

Evidently, the folks who are responsible for this are working with a different definition of "relevance" from the rest of us. When people come to these forums, they do not expect to have to wade through pages of 2-4 year-old discussions before they discover something helpful.   Anyone who doesn't understand that 3 year old discussions of beta products are less relevant in this context than something posted last week is in the wrong job.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:53 PM