Win 10 Update has stopped file access by Money 2002 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm pretty sure that KB4023057 killed the access to old .mny database from Money 2002 and maybe later versions.  I’ve had no trouble for years and then on March 1 2019, I got this automatic update.  Money now starts but cannot open the .mny, reporting file access problems(possible write protect, file name bad characters or maybe access rights).  The reported issue is not credible as nothing changed.  I’m thinking old file access methods have been lost.

I have similar failures at the same time on Foxit pdf reader (fixed by reloading a latest version) and on an old musice editor program, CoolEdit which got obsoleted after being bought out to become Adobe Audition (hence cannot reload a later version).

I can move the .mny to another computer which has not yet been updated and it runs perfectly (not  really a long term answer)

I tried loading up Money 2005 and loading/converting the database.  It starts but goes non-responsive quickly with no CPU, Disk or Network use. Has to be stopped by task manager.  Probably not the same issue.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Jim

Sunday, March 3, 2019 9:01 AM

Answers

• Thanks Bill for a prompt repsonse.  To cut a long story short:  The issue is "Controlled Folder Access" which you can find in settings.  Somehow the update turned off the ability of Money 2002 (and the other programs) to access files, I have not the slightest idea why it did this and I have never used the "feature" before.  It is pretty simple to add Money and other old programs to the approved list in Controlled Folder Access once you know that you need to!

By the time I found this, I had still not resolved the failure to load the database into 2005 so I will now go back to that. I had used the sticky thread version and 2005 runs fine, just won't load/"convert" the old  2002 .mny file.

I'll persevere with 2005 now as it feels like I ought to get up to the sunset edition  to be in line with this forum.

Thanks again for caring!

Geordie71, this is the first I have heard of Controlled Folder Access. I did a little reading.

Could you write a simplified view of that for the Microsoft Money user, and post it into a new discussion? Address how they would recognize the symptom, and how to cure it. You will be able to edit that post if you see needed improvements.

It seems to me that the title ideally would contain key words from the error message that appears when the problem strikes a Money user.

Monday, March 4, 2019 2:13 PM

All replies

• Microsoft has issued KB4023057 several times.  On my Windows 10 Home, version 1803, it was installed on 12/12/2018, 1/16/2019, and 2/15/2019.  There is not much good information on why this update keeps reappearing.  In any event, it has not caused any problems for me, - so that's one data point.

You can try uninstalling the most recent KB4023057 and see if that fixes the problem.  A second option is to reinstall Money 2002 if you still have a disk.

You said that you installed Money 2005.  Did you download the Money 2005 UK version from the second "sticky" thread in this forum?  A disk version of Money 2005 won't have an essential patch.  And, of course, you should install Money 2005 UK only if your Money 2002 was a UK version.

Bill Becker

Sunday, March 3, 2019 2:26 PM
  • Thanks Bill for a prompt repsonse.  To cut a long story short:  The issue is "Controlled Folder Access" which you can find in settings.  Somehow the update turned off the ability of Money 2002 (and the other programs) to access files, I have not the slightest idea why it did this and I have never used the "feature" before.  It is pretty simple to add Money and other old programs to the approved list in Controlled Folder Access once you know that you need to!

By the time I found this, I had still not resolved the failure to load the database into 2005 so I will now go back to that. I had used the sticky thread version and 2005 runs fine, just won't load/"convert" the old  2002 .mny file.

I'll persevere with 2005 now as it feels like I ought to get up to the sunset edition  to be in line with this forum.

Thanks again for caring!

Sunday, March 3, 2019 3:24 PM
  • UK Money versions

If you are in the UK, Money 2005 QFE2 is the latest version. Sunset cannot read UK Money data files.

Money 2002 to 2005

If you have Money 2002 on another system, repair the data file on that system and try again to import to Money 2005 UK.

Windows 10

If you were still running CoolEdit / Adobe Audition 1.0 your system has been updated many times.
    (Audacity, as you are probably aware, is free and may be all you need.)

It is time to back up and wipe your system and clean install Windows 10.
    First, check that there are no failing hardware components - disk, memory, PSU or anything else - since these may be the cause of system corruption.

Sunday, March 3, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Hi Dominic. 

I have no back up problems and never lost anything.  Just a (small) windows mis-setting which got fixed.  A(nother) reinstall of 10 will give me a different set of issues to deal with, so I'm not in a rush for that. 

Over the years I have tried many audio editors and I only do some straightforward stuff so I keep falling back to CoolEdit which does it all perfectly, was very cheap when I bought it, and just goes on working.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Monday, March 4, 2019 9:22 AM

Thanks again for caring!

Geordie71, this is the first I have heard of Controlled Folder Access. I did a little reading.

Could you write a simplified view of that for the Microsoft Money user, and post it into a new discussion? Address how they would recognize the symptom, and how to cure it. You will be able to edit that post if you see needed improvements.

It seems to me that the title ideally would contain key words from the error message that appears when the problem strikes a Money user.

Monday, March 4, 2019 2:13 PM