UK e-sata PM expansion enclosures RRS feed

All replies

• Ian,

Thanks for this, I'd seen these (Scan also do them), these fit in drive bays and use the PC PSU. The one I was looking at was standalone. I'll cost up one of these, a mini tower and PSU for comparision when I get a minute!

Gordon

Saturday, June 2, 2007 4:50 PM
  •  

I'd be interested to hear if you find a UK-based standalone enclosure.  Currently I could maybe squeeze an extra 1 or 2 drives inside the WHS case,

then it's either

a) upgrade the case to a proper server case. Not sure I'll be allowed to get away with rackmounts in the house....  Smile 

b) find some really long IDE & SATA cables and start turning a spare case into a "disk station" with the cables coming

out of one box and into the other  [not yet ready to join the Dremel brigade ! ]

c) wait for HP / Dell etc to release some hardware offerings and see how expandable they are

Ian

Sunday, June 3, 2007 10:40 AM
  • What I've seen so far from the OEMs is mostly concept pieces (I love Microsoft's hockey puck design, BTW). The HP design is the most finished looking, and it allows for the addition of up to 3 more drives internally (assuming it ships with 1 drive initially) plus has 4 external USB ports, for up to 4 more drives. They describe total storage as "up to 6 TB" based (I assume) on 750 GB drives.

As for rack mounting equipment, do you have a wiring closet now? That would be the logical place to put a small wall-mounted server rack, such as one of these units.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:37 PM
  •  Ian Hx wrote:

a) upgrade the case to a proper server case. Not sure I'll be allowed to get away with rackmounts in the house....   

Buy some rackmounts, install them and hide them either in the garage or a closet. Then you can always say "honey? server? huh? what, who, where....?" Big Smile
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:39 PM
  •  Thanks for the link. Not sure my home is ready for enterprise-class equipment,

but good to see that 'ordinary' server cases can fit in > 10 disks.

PS  ok I'll take the bait - what is the "Microsoft hockey puck" you mentioned ?   Smile

Sunday, June 3, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Sunday, June 3, 2007 9:44 PM
  • As far as rack-mounting is concerned, you have about three choices. You can buy a telco/relay rack and adapt it; they aren't designed to support large quantities of weighty equipment so they aren't the best choice IMO. You can buy rack rails and build a wooden or metal case; this is a solution often chosen for high-end A/V equipment in the home theater. Or you can buy a wall mount or free standing 4 post rack. None of the three options will be cheap, but any of them will allow for higher density of server equipment, so any of them is better than sitting on a table or under a desk somewhere if you need to have a lot of equipment in one place. Smile
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 9:56 PM
  •  Ian Hx wrote:

Also trying to find out more about this :

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4HKD&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=sata&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

No idea what it is - hoping it's an external caddy for 10 SATA drives [ or perhaps not.... ]

Seems to be a rebranded Cru-DataPort 10. Just a mobile rack for a single SATA drive.

Perhaps this is what you're looking for?
    Monday, June 4, 2007 10:53 PM
  •  

>>>  Perhaps this is what you're looking for?

Yes, that's more what I had in mind - thanks.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 7:59 PM
  • I'm narrowing down my case options now (test machine sits inside a generic tower). I'm particuarly tempted by a Coolermaster stacker which has modular options to get it up to almost a dozen hard drives with some obscene cooling options.

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=uk&Language_s=15&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-810&other_title=+RC-810+CMStacker%20810

Case appears to be available for approx £110 with a further £30-£40 for the modular and cooling amendments.

My major concerns are really now around power options. One of the Coolermaster products has an option for a 2nd internal power supply which might be useful.

Friday, June 8, 2007 10:51 AM
  • That's a great case, you might want to consider a couple of these puppies to really boost the storage

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=352335

Gordon

Friday, June 8, 2007 11:15 AM
  • Coolermaster do their own 4into3 adaptors for about £10 each so more cost effective. My assumption with your example though is that each drive will need its own individual SATA connector, not one single one for the whole enclosure. If that were the case, then it is worth considering.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 11:19 AM
  • If you're after an internal one - look at these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=&groupid=&string=icy+dock

The first one will let you fit 5 SATA drives into the space of 3 5.25 drive bays - so if you have a server style case, you could fit 10 SATA drives in with two of these!

Friday, June 8, 2007 11:41 AM