Static IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• What steps do I take to assign a static IP address to my WHS?
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:28 AM

Answers

• Many thanks for the reply, but...   Granted that it is unsupported, can you tell me how to logon to the server desktop?

Either connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor or use Remote Desktop Connection (which should be under Accessories).  The username is Administrator and the password is whatever your server password is.
    • Marked as answer by vgordy Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:15 AM

All replies

• What steps do I take to assign a static IP address to my WHS?

It shouldn't be necessary.  However, if you want to do it anyway, you need to logon to the server desktop (which is unsupported), then go to the Properties of your NIC and manually assign it an IP address (and DNS server) there (the same way you assign a static IP in XP).
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Many thanks for the reply, but...   Granted that it is unsupported, can you tell me how to logon to the server desktop?
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:42 AM
  • I would not assign a static IP address: if your router fails you might replace it with a model that uses a different address range as does your original router and you might not be able to connect to your WHS anymore.
    I've assigned my home server a router supplied "static" IP address (my router is a THOMSON SpeedTouch 780). My WHS still uses DHCP but my router always assigns it the same (static) address. I do the same with my XP desktops: the wireless connection is more stable that way.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:23 PM

Either connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor or use Remote Desktop Connection (which should be under Accessories).  The username is Administrator and the password is whatever your server password is.
    • Marked as answer by vgordy Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:15 AM
  • Perfect.  Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:28 AM
  • I was doing the same thing (have the server use DHCP, assign a static IP address on the DHCP server).  However, even though the DHCP lease was set to 7 days, the WHS would send another DHCP ACK every 10-15 minutes.  This was filling up my router logs making it annoying when trying to view any other events. 

Changing over to a static IP resolved the problem.  And since I home-built WHS, I can easily connect a head and make changes directly if my network config changes drastically.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:08 PM