Automatically tracking campaign responses RRS feed

• Question

• Hello world,

I'd like to send out an email campaign and track all responses to that email as a campaign response. I would not like to do this manually for each response. In Administration --> System Settings I have "Create Campaign Responses for Incoming Email" set to yes as well as "Track e-mail sent between CRM users as two activities" checked. However I do not have tracking token enabled for Email Correlation. Is this a requirement? If so, will there be some kind of GUID on each email that gets sent out via campaign manager? Is turning this feature as easy as checking the box? Or will this require any additional configuration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:55 PM

Answers

• If you don't use the tacking token then CRM will use a feature called Smart Matching to attempt to associate the inbound reply to the outbound marketing message. Smart Matching uses an algorithm based on the sender, receiver(s) and subject line to correlate the emails. In your case, smart matching should work because although the subject line of all the messages in your campaign is exactly the same, the recipient of each email is unique.

As with all things, it's worth testing with a few dummy contacts with your own email address.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. Join me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Pasha, firstly I would not recommend using CRM 2011 for e-mail marketing because its features are so basic. For example, you won't be able to track the open or clickthrough rates of your email campaign and therefore measure the success of your campaign. There are lots of e-mail marketing add-ons available for CRM and I'd highly recommend you find one that meets your requirements.

But if you want to use the basic tracking then you don't need to have a tracking token enabled, but it will help. The tracking token is slightly configurable, but the default format is something like this: CRM:0000000-AAAAAA. The string gets appended to the subject line of your emails.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. Join me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply! If I dont have the tracking token enabled does that mean that I need to track one by one campaign responses as they come in? If someone responds to a campaign email can it be auto tracked as a response without the token? If so, do you know what is required? Thanks again Neil!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:28 PM
  • If you don't use the tacking token then CRM will use a feature called Smart Matching to attempt to associate the inbound reply to the outbound marketing message. Smart Matching uses an algorithm based on the sender, receiver(s) and subject line to correlate the emails. In your case, smart matching should work because although the subject line of all the messages in your campaign is exactly the same, the recipient of each email is unique.

As with all things, it's worth testing with a few dummy contacts with your own email address.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:23 PM