First Impressions RRS feed

• Question

• My first impressions of the product are good, just a couple of comments :

1. Shared Folder Shortcut on desktop

Whilst to me as a techie it is obvious I should drill down the "shared folders shortcut" that has been placed on the desktop to find my shared folder, it may not be so obvious to a non techie. I have therefore created a shortcut to each users shared folder and placed it on the desktop and have instructed my family to save their files in this directory.

2. My sys volume has twice today been marked as failing - from the "Windows Home Server Console", all I can see is a drive marked as failing in need of repair which needs a server reboot. To me it would be useful if there was some form of error log visible from the WHS console, even if it was just a very simplistic "your drive is failing due to error ... see windows help for more information on how to rectify this fault" type message

3. I have read others comments with regards to roaming profiles, etc, but my view is that to keep the server even more simplistic (from a users point of view) users should automatically have the same desktop/my documents, etc whereever they log on to the network - if I have to explain to my family to save files here instead of there, then possibly the server is not simple enough

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• If your SYS volume is failing, then you should plan on replacing the drive soon. You may be able to find out more about the problem by logging in to WHS using remote desktop, but most likely you've got a dying disk.

Regarding roaming profiles, a full server-driven roaming profile requires Active Directory. Short of that, it's possible to redirect My Documents to a network share manually on each client PC. That's your best workaround. As the WHS administrator, it will only take your a few minutes to do that on every client PC in your house. (Copying the files out to the folders on WHS will take a lot longer, but the redirection is easy.) You won't have to explain anything to your family except "Continue to save files in/under 'My Documents' just as you always do."
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:18 PM
  • The points/suggestions I was trying to make are

1. if my sys volume is failing, why - a non techy "mom" will not want to use remote desktop to find out why - more information should be available in whs console

2. I am fully aware of how to change it, but if I have 4 users and 4 computers, thats a lot of work changing all of the "my document" settings. again, the idea of this server is surely plug and play/simplicity, so that "mom" doesn't have to make chnages such as this

Sunday, April 22, 2007 10:17 PM
  • Jason

There are many workaround for this as Ken is suggesting, however I agree that if the USER  Folder on WHS is to be of any use then there should be an easy way to "Sync" the My Documents folder with the USER  Folder on the Homeserver.

Then the only recourse is for the user to Remote Desktop to his/her PC to find a file ,when It can be easily available on the Server.

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:47 AM
  • There's already an easy way to deal with this. You redirect My Documents to a share on the server, as I mentioned above. This takes about a minute per user per computer, plus the time required to copy a definitive set of files from the local My Documents for each user/computer to the folder on the server. Once that's done (and Offline Folders is properly configured on any laptops/computers that will be removed from the home regularly) you effectively have a roaming profile.

The OP feels that this is too complicated. I disagree; I explained it to my technically unsophisticated wife (an understatement and a half!) a couple of weeks ago and she had no trouble doing this exact thing, but I suppose he could be right overall. At this time, though, workarounds are all there will be. Active Directory and a centrally controlled roaming profile policy are what he really needs, but that won't make it into V1.

If he feels strongly about the issue, he should make a suggestion on Connect, after checking to see if there's already one there.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 3:01 AM