Windows Vienna - A New Hope RRS feed

• Question

• All right people, lets talk about something more exciting that is going to come after 2 or 3 years.. we are talking about the Next OS From Windows...

News is that Development of the next OS from Windows named "Vienna" has already began...

This new OS will have a voice controlled Activities, even for security purpose...
    There will be the new integrated file system known as WinFS...
    It will have integrated functions for Touch screen, and a lots more...

I thought of starting of this thread to discuss out more on this topic.. we can talk about what we would like to have in the new OS, our suggestions and also discuss the new technology... So I think it will be great to have a discussion on this topic.... I m waiting for your replies people.. Please dont let this thread go dead..

I start very few thread, and i think its almost 10 days since i started any thread... please give your support.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:27 PM

Answers

• @Varun thanks for this new thread Wink

I thought you would give me a change to start this thread Smile but no prob. Next time Smile
    Its late night now, and i am tired to find more technical info about the above topic.. Ill try getting more info no it tomorrow in the day time and try to contribute.

Good work Varun.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:39 PM
  • yea. .. same with me yaar. . i too  wanted to start an exculsive thread on this topic.. . no probs. .varun has done it already.. .
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:35 PM
  • @Harshil & Chetan....

Sorry to disappoint you guys... its just that I had not started any thread from a long time.. But this is not a thread of my own.. its our thread ...

So feel it like our own and post... I will mark on our behalf...
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Thanks Varun, i am touched by hearing that its "our thread", nice one bro.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:36 AM
  • I have created a thread about CHATTING, where we can talk and discuss about any other topic that dont fall under other sections of the forum.

The Thread name is "Guys Chat here" and its under General section of Samvaad forum.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Dear Friend,

Greetings, thanks for your latest information.

Few are some of my following tips on the New Operatings System

1. Should be secured with the latest technology of Impression Scanning

2. More reliable with operating system with the boot up that is within 1minute or faster

3. Should support to even the lowest configuration which would demolish (Higher Hardware Requirements) tools

4. Must be more frequent with supporting all files without scrapping

5. Shall promote the lates VISTA glass effect within the OS embedded

These are some tips from me to VIENNA

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Windows "Vienna" (formerly known as Blackcomb) is a codename for a future version of Microsoft Windows, originally announced in February 2000, that has been subject to major delays and rescheduling. It is expected to be Windows Vista's successor. Microsoft has announced it will be released in 2009, and according to "Smart Computing In Plain English", a technology magazine, work on it began right after Windows Vista was released. As of February 2007, the name of the operating system used internally is undisclosed and is not used publicly by Microsoft, though "Windows 7" has been noted in job postings as a working name for the project.

Microsoft has refrained from discussing the details about "Vienna" publicly as they focus on the release and marketing of Windows Vista, though some early details of various core operating system features have emerged at developer conferences such as Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in 2006.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Development

The code name "Blackcomb" was originally assigned to Windows NT 6, an operating system that was planned to follow both the desktop/workstation-oriented Windows XP (Windows NT 5.1, codenamed "Whistler"; both named after the Whistler-Blackcomb resort) and the server-oriented Windows Server 2003 (Windows NT 5.2). In late 2001 the release of Blackcomb was being scheduled for 2005 and in August it was announced that a minor intermediate release, Vista (codenamed "Longhorn" after a bar in the Whistler Blackcomb Resort), would ship in 2002 to update the Windows NT 5.x line. Over the following years Longhorn morphed in fits, starts, and delays to incorporate many of the features promised for Blackcomb and was eventually designated as Windows NT 6. The status of the operating system dubbed "Blackcomb," however, was shrouded in confusion with some reports suggesting that plans for Blackcomb were scrapped while others claiming that it would be the moniker for a server-only Windows 6.x release. More likely, the codename "Blackcomb" was discarded as no longer being in the spirit of its original intent (i.e., to describe Windows NT 6). At the present, it is believed that Windows "Vienna" is being planned as both a client and server release with a current release estimate of late 2009, although no firm date or year has yet been publicized.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:46 AM
  • Several other features originally planned for Windows Vista may be part of "Vienna", depending on when they are finished.

"Vienna" will also feature the sandboxed approach discussed during the Alpha/White Box development phase for Longhorn. All non-managed code will run in a sandboxed environment where access to the "outside world" is restricted by the operating system. Access to raw sockets will be disabled from within the sandbox, as will direct access to the file system, hardware abstraction layer (HAL), and complete memory addressing.[citation needed] All access to outside applications, files, and protocols will be regulated by the operating system, and any malicious activity will be halted immediately.[citation needed] If this approach is successful, it bodes very well for security and safety, as it is virtually impossible for a malicious application to cause any damage to the system if it is locked inside a metaphorical 'glass box.' As well, this sand boxed environment will be able to adapt itself to the code base it was written for. This will alleviate most problems that arise from back compatibility when a new operating system is made.

Another feature mentioned by Bill Gates is "a pervasive typing line that will recognize the sentence that [the user is] typing in." The implications of this could be as simple as a "complete as you type" function as found in most modern search engines, (e.g. Google Suggest) or as complex as being able to give verbal commands to the PC without any concern for syntax. The former has been incorporated to an extent in Windows Vista.
  • Backward Compatibility

Microsoft has stated that "Vienna" will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit for the client version, in order to ease the industry's transition from 32-bit to 64-bit computing[citation needed]. Vienna Server is expected to support only 64-bit server systems.[citation needed] There will be continued backward compatibility with 32-bit applications, but 16-bit Windows and MS-DOS applications will not be supported, as has been the case since the 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. However, Paul Thurrott claims in his Supersite for Windows, that according to Microsoft's x64 migration schedule, Windows Vienna will almost certainly only ship in 64-bit editions.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Good work Harshil... lots of data...

From this I found about 2 new upgradations...

1. More security from that Sandbox
    2. Auto complete machanism and speech recognization..

I want to talk about the 1st one... Well if they are making it so secured, than we wont be able to install each and everything... because it will need Microsoft approval to do so... Also updation of softwares will become tough... No doubt it will be good for the programmers because they will get a virtual platform to work on, this will make the system more stable....
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:02 PM
  • I think it will create more problem who wants more freedom from the OS.People will feel bound to the OS rather than controlling the OS as they wish.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I think more than that, there will be compatibility issues.. Just have a look at the issues with Vista, now if they impose more security, there will be further compatibility issues... looks like, Microsoft is moving more and more towards Apple, they have the similar problem, In Apple you need to have Apple products only...

Chetan Waiting for your piece of contribution...
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Right now MS claims that vista is the most secure OS now, even in todays webinar the lady host said that its the most secure OS right now. I dont know what more they would want to include in Vienna regarding security. May be as time goes, more flaws will be found Smile
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Well its not so secure because people have already found a crack to activate Vista, if the OS cannot be secured itself, what security are we talking about???

Vista is made to heavy due to the unnecessary Graphics....

Returning to the Topic,
    I saw Microsoft should provide a option during the installation regarding what type of Facilities we want... obviously there is no need of the cool glassy look for a programmer and sameway there is no need of a high scientific uses for a home users....

This would allow the user to have the facilities that he needs and also allows the OS to be installed as per the hardware availability instead of getting the new hardware for the OS.....
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:43 PM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    Well its not so secure because people have already found a crack to activate Vista, if the OS cannot be secured itself, what security are we talking about???

Returning to the Topic,
    I saw Microsoft should provide a option during the installation regarding what type of Facilities we want... obviously there is no need of the cool glassy look for a programmer and sameway there is no need of a high scientific uses for a home users....

This would allow the user to have the facilities that he needs and also allows the OS to be installed as per the hardware availability instead of getting the new hardware for the OS.....

yea. . . they need to hav put dat one which will increase the speed for quite huge extent. . . .it  should have been like the user can instert the dvd n change the mode whenver he wants to switch on to a high graphic look or a lower one. . hope vienna will do it.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Very good points you have highlighted Varun Smile Thanks.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:55 PM

All replies

• @Varun thanks for this new thread Wink

I thought you would give me a change to start this thread Smile but no prob. Next time Smile
    Its late night now, and i am tired to find more technical info about the above topic.. Ill try getting more info no it tomorrow in the day time and try to contribute.

Good work Varun.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:39 PM
  • yea. .. same with me yaar. . i too  wanted to start an exculsive thread on this topic.. . no probs. .varun has done it already.. .
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:35 PM
  • @Harshil & Chetan....

Sorry to disappoint you guys... its just that I had not started any thread from a long time.. But this is not a thread of my own.. its our thread ...

So feel it like our own and post... I will mark on our behalf...
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Thanks Varun, i am touched by hearing that its "our thread", nice one bro.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:36 AM
  • I have created a thread about CHATTING, where we can talk and discuss about any other topic that dont fall under other sections of the forum.

The Thread name is "Guys Chat here" and its under General section of Samvaad forum.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:39 AM
  • Dear Friend,

Greetings, thanks for your latest information.

Few are some of my following tips on the New Operatings System

1. Should be secured with the latest technology of Impression Scanning

2. More reliable with operating system with the boot up that is within 1minute or faster

3. Should support to even the lowest configuration which would demolish (Higher Hardware Requirements) tools

4. Must be more frequent with supporting all files without scrapping

5. Shall promote the lates VISTA glass effect within the OS embedded

These are some tips from me to VIENNA

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Windows "Vienna" (formerly known as Blackcomb) is a codename for a future version of Microsoft Windows, originally announced in February 2000, that has been subject to major delays and rescheduling. It is expected to be Windows Vista's successor. Microsoft has announced it will be released in 2009, and according to "Smart Computing In Plain English", a technology magazine, work on it began right after Windows Vista was released. As of February 2007, the name of the operating system used internally is undisclosed and is not used publicly by Microsoft, though "Windows 7" has been noted in job postings as a working name for the project.

Microsoft has refrained from discussing the details about "Vienna" publicly as they focus on the release and marketing of Windows Vista, though some early details of various core operating system features have emerged at developer conferences such as Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in 2006.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Development

The code name "Blackcomb" was originally assigned to Windows NT 6, an operating system that was planned to follow both the desktop/workstation-oriented Windows XP (Windows NT 5.1, codenamed "Whistler"; both named after the Whistler-Blackcomb resort) and the server-oriented Windows Server 2003 (Windows NT 5.2). In late 2001 the release of Blackcomb was being scheduled for 2005 and in August it was announced that a minor intermediate release, Vista (codenamed "Longhorn" after a bar in the Whistler Blackcomb Resort), would ship in 2002 to update the Windows NT 5.x line. Over the following years Longhorn morphed in fits, starts, and delays to incorporate many of the features promised for Blackcomb and was eventually designated as Windows NT 6. The status of the operating system dubbed "Blackcomb," however, was shrouded in confusion with some reports suggesting that plans for Blackcomb were scrapped while others claiming that it would be the moniker for a server-only Windows 6.x release. More likely, the codename "Blackcomb" was discarded as no longer being in the spirit of its original intent (i.e., to describe Windows NT 6). At the present, it is believed that Windows "Vienna" is being planned as both a client and server release with a current release estimate of late 2009, although no firm date or year has yet been publicized.
  • Several other features originally planned for Windows Vista may be part of "Vienna", depending on when they are finished.

"Vienna" will also feature the sandboxed approach discussed during the Alpha/White Box development phase for Longhorn. All non-managed code will run in a sandboxed environment where access to the "outside world" is restricted by the operating system. Access to raw sockets will be disabled from within the sandbox, as will direct access to the file system, hardware abstraction layer (HAL), and complete memory addressing.[citation needed] All access to outside applications, files, and protocols will be regulated by the operating system, and any malicious activity will be halted immediately.[citation needed] If this approach is successful, it bodes very well for security and safety, as it is virtually impossible for a malicious application to cause any damage to the system if it is locked inside a metaphorical 'glass box.' As well, this sand boxed environment will be able to adapt itself to the code base it was written for. This will alleviate most problems that arise from back compatibility when a new operating system is made.

Another feature mentioned by Bill Gates is "a pervasive typing line that will recognize the sentence that [the user is] typing in." The implications of this could be as simple as a "complete as you type" function as found in most modern search engines, (e.g. Google Suggest) or as complex as being able to give verbal commands to the PC without any concern for syntax. The former has been incorporated to an extent in Windows Vista.
  • Backward Compatibility

Microsoft has stated that "Vienna" will be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit for the client version, in order to ease the industry's transition from 32-bit to 64-bit computing[citation needed]. Vienna Server is expected to support only 64-bit server systems.[citation needed] There will be continued backward compatibility with 32-bit applications, but 16-bit Windows and MS-DOS applications will not be supported, as has been the case since the 64-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. However, Paul Thurrott claims in his Supersite for Windows, that according to Microsoft's x64 migration schedule, Windows Vienna will almost certainly only ship in 64-bit editions.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Good work Harshil... lots of data...

From this I found about 2 new upgradations...

1. More security from that Sandbox
    2. Auto complete machanism and speech recognization..

I want to talk about the 1st one... Well if they are making it so secured, than we wont be able to install each and everything... because it will need Microsoft approval to do so... Also updation of softwares will become tough... No doubt it will be good for the programmers because they will get a virtual platform to work on, this will make the system more stable....
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 12:02 PM
  • I think it will create more problem who wants more freedom from the OS.People will feel bound to the OS rather than controlling the OS as they wish.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I think more than that, there will be compatibility issues.. Just have a look at the issues with Vista, now if they impose more security, there will be further compatibility issues... looks like, Microsoft is moving more and more towards Apple, they have the similar problem, In Apple you need to have Apple products only...

Chetan Waiting for your piece of contribution...
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 10:18 AM
  • Right now MS claims that vista is the most secure OS now, even in todays webinar the lady host said that its the most secure OS right now. I dont know what more they would want to include in Vienna regarding security. May be as time goes, more flaws will be found Smile
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Well its not so secure because people have already found a crack to activate Vista, if the OS cannot be secured itself, what security are we talking about???

Returning to the Topic,

Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:43 PM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    Well its not so secure because people have already found a crack to activate Vista, if the OS cannot be secured itself, what security are we talking about???

Returning to the Topic,

yea. . . they need to hav put dat one which will increase the speed for quite huge extent. . . .it  should have been like the user can instert the dvd n change the mode whenver he wants to switch on to a high graphic look or a lower one. . hope vienna will do it.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Very good points you have highlighted Varun Smile Thanks.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 3:55 PM