One "Mobile" per contact. RRS feed

• Question

• I have just purchased the Samsung Omnia with Windows mobile and have now encountered the issue that I can only have one mobile number stored per contact.

This makes the phone basically unusable for me and I belive I will have to return it to the store and not use a Windows based system.

I have seen in other threads that a moderator has responded saying that Microsoft is aware of the problem.

I would like to highlight that the problem extends further than other contributors have suggested, and will not be solved by just adding a second "mobile field" eg "mobile 2". Some of my contacts have as many as seven different mobile numbers and most of my work collegues are in the same scenario as myself. I myself have four different mobile numbers. This needs to be addressed, not as a next version of Office or outlook or Windows Mobile, but as an update patch asap.

In the old days we all used to store one number per name and have several different names for each person such as, Joe Blogs Home, Joe blogs Mob, Joe Blogs Office, Joe Blogs, Work Mob, Joe Blogs UK Mob, Joe Blogs US Mob, Joe Blogs Fax, Joe Blogs Home Fax etc etc. The symbian platform now deals with this perfectly by having tham all available under one contact name

My Nokia N73 allows me to store many numbers per contacts and label them how I wish. Certain fields would not be in most peoples scope of contact number fields but in my profession it is very common to want to store a contact, with, the telephone fields, such as, "Iridium", "Inmarsat B", "Inmarsat MiniM", "Inmarsat Fleet", "VSAT", "Thuraya", "Globalstar" and also label different mobile numbers with the country that they apply. Don't forget satellite phones are also mobiles. Microsoft needs to make all the fields editable in the telephone numbers section and muct synchronise them all regardless of their name between mobile devices and computers.

We are all buying these devices and then realising that because it is windows mobile designed by computer people and not phone sofware designed by phone people that Microsoft just doesn't have the necessary overview. This needs to be fixed asap otherwise windows mobile is basically useless for a huge branch of the potential market.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:36 PM

Answers

• If you are synchonizing with Activesync or WMDC to Outlook, you can enter those Mobile phonenumbers in Outlook and they will be synchronized to your device. I have done this for several people.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:06 AM

All replies

• If you are synchonizing with Activesync or WMDC to Outlook, you can enter those Mobile phonenumbers in Outlook and they will be synchronized to your device. I have done this for several people.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:44 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:06 AM
  • Throbbin - thanks for the feedback.
    Thank you The Microsoft Windows Mobile Team www.WindowsMobile.com/TotalAccess
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:46 PM
  • I fully agree.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Unfortunately, this does not address the original poster's concern.  Of course you can use any of the telephone fields in Outlook to post any kind of phone number, but when synced to a windows mobile device, only one of those phone numbers will be recognized as a mobile number and thus only that one number can be used when sending text messages.  Also, it is a messy way to deal with mobile numbers since the "title" of the number does not reflect that it is a mobile number and not a landline "work" or "home" number.

Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:08 PM
  • Here's a workaround from the Outlook Mobile Team that you may find useful:

Texting a Non-Mobile Number
    Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:33 AM