Adding a PC RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to get a Vista PC to add to my home network but I already have 3 XP machines. How can I add another PC to my subscription?

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:09 PM

Answers

• There is currently no option to purchase more licenses for the same LiveID subscription. And, each LiveID can only support a single subscription for 3 computers. So, for the 4th PC, to be legal, you need to purchase another subscription with a different LiveID. If you choose to install OneCare on PC#4 with the same LiveID, it may work, but it is against the terms of the license. There have been hints that the ability to add more PCs to a subscription at a cost per license or block of licenses is coming, but more than that I have no new information.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:21 PM

All replies

• There is currently no option to purchase more licenses for the same LiveID subscription. And, each LiveID can only support a single subscription for 3 computers. So, for the 4th PC, to be legal, you need to purchase another subscription with a different LiveID. If you choose to install OneCare on PC#4 with the same LiveID, it may work, but it is against the terms of the license. There have been hints that the ability to add more PCs to a subscription at a cost per license or block of licenses is coming, but more than that I have no new information.

-steve

Thursday, November 29, 2007 8:21 PM
  • I also have more than 3 PCs and would like to add more licenses. I like the way that backup works almost without effort and the way that OneCare sets up the sharing of printers. Please pass the request on to someone who cares so expanded licenses will become available soon. It looks like McAfee sells licenses up to 10 pcs but I'm having trouble with it. (I have 3 Vista machines and 7 XP machines on a network.)

Saturday, December 1, 2007 9:40 PM
  • There was talk of being able to add licenses to a subscription. It sounds like you are in the same boat as me in collecting PCs. :-)

I'm hoping that they'll surprise us with the ability to expand a subscription to more than 3 PCs for a reasonable cost.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:54 AM
  • Yeah, I'm currently running 10 machines, running einstein@home. OneCare makes the network simple, much more so than XP/Vista alone, or McAfee.

Monday, December 3, 2007 8:13 PM
  •  

I currently have 3 XP machines registered.  I want to be able to remove one of them and add a new Vista machine, but I'm not seeing how to do such a thing.  Is there a way to find out what the PC names so the newly registered one has the same name, or how I would go about unregistering one so I can register a new one?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Monday, December 3, 2007 9:26 PM
  • There's no need to remove a PC from the subscription, just uninstall OneCare from one PC if it is still running. Then activate on the new machine.

-steve

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:02 AM
  • That means one of the PC's will be unprotected during whatever period the migration takes.

I think I will just defer buying my Vista PC until this is sorted out.

Saturday, December 8, 2007 1:38 PM
  •  rgilyead wrote:

That means one of the PC's will be unprotected during whatever period the migration takes.

I think I will just defer buying my Vista PC until this is sorted out.

The PC will be protected by the Windows Firewall until you install OneCare and after you uninstall OneCare. What migration?

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 2:29 AM
  • I as well have more than 3 PC's. (5 total for now...maybe 6 when my other daughter gets older).... I would gladly pay for the extra machines.  For now, I have simply added them and they all seam to be protected, they are all listed under my acount and I did not get any error messages when I added more than 3 computers.....  (Are they protected?) ...... How do I go about paying for the extra machines? I am not trying to steel anything, however, as long as the other machines are protected, and I am obviously claiming all of them...I do not see it as I am doing anything wrong.....I would like other peoples thoughts about this.  I am not sure how to go about getting anouther Live ID as some have sugested....

Rob, wanting to "do the right thing"

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Yes, they are protected, Rob.

You can create a new LiveID here: http://account.live.com and you can obtain a retail copy of OneCare and then reinstall and activate OneCare on two of the PCs with your new LiveID and retail key or you can buy a new subscription.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 8:36 PM
  • Thank you Steve.....I will buy the other subscription.....Do you think once I do that it will be Ok to continue to run all of them under the orginal subscription as I am doing now.  In my way of thinking I will have purchaced 2 lincenses and if I choose to run them all under one log in it should be "OK"....do you think the acountants or lawyers (for lack of better words) will be Ok with that and will it meet the lincense agreement?

Rob

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:21 AM
  • LOL! I'm not a lawyer. I can tell you that right now you can continue the Circle with your extra 2 PCs and it will work, but that may change. If you purchase another subscription and activate that subscription right away, the clock starts ticking - even if you don't have any PCs actually using that LiveID. You can activate a retail key for a new subcription with a new LiveID at http://onecare.live.com/activate and not even install and activate on a PC. Your conscience would be clear and you could always uninstall and install using LiveID #2 if suddenly the licensing terms were enforced on your LiveID #1 subscription. :-) It's up to you. (wink)

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:00 AM